Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the geometrical significance of eigen values?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMW

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
WHAT IS THE GEOMETRICAL SIGNIFICANCE OF EIGEN VALUES
THANKS

significance of eigen values

Hi,

Eigen values give you the characteristic equation of a system, in fact when you solve a an RLC circuit using differential equations Aλ^2+Bλ+C=D(λ), the solution to Aλ^2+Bλ+C =0, are the eigen values of the system.. Therefore the geometrical significance of eigen values is that is gives you the position of the poles of the system.

transfer function eigen

hey what is the physical significance of them.

for example i have a system and i have got some of the eigen values of it. what does they signify?

thnx

purna

eigen values eigen weights

hi,
i too don't know what will an eigen values do or how will they usefull for problem solving. please help. this will be usefull for all.

thanx

Re: EIGEN VALUES

purnapragna said:
hey what is the physical significance of them.

for example i have a system and i have got some of the eigen values of it. what does they signify?

thnx

purna

Possible helpful information:

From a geometrical point of view, if we look at the states of each variable of the system to be controlled, every "bad" state of these variables must be controllable and observable to ensure a good behaviour in the closed-loop system. That is, if one of the eigenvalues of the system is not both controllable and observable, this part of the dynamics will remain untouched in the closed-loop system. If such an eigenvalue is not stable, the dynamics of this eigenvalue will be present in the close-loop system which therefore will be unstable. Unobservable poles are not present in the transfer function realization of a state-space representation, which is why sometimes the latter is preferred in dynamical systems analysis.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory

Geometrically, a Matrix A can see like a transformation axes.

The Matrix A acting about a determined axes, don't produce rotation, but only stretching, this special axes, are the eigen vector, this special factor of streching are the eigenvalues.

Let me explain with an example.

Let V be a column vector ( 3 X 1). Each element in the column vector can be thought of as the componet of a "VECTOR" in three mutually perpendicular axes.

And A be a (3X3) matrix.

Now if i compute A*V we will get another column vector (3 x 1) say U

i.e. A*V = U

These V and U may or may not have same orientation or direction. They may or maynot have same magnitude. So because of this multiplication A*V, i am getting another vector U, which is a stretched (or compressed) and direction changed version of V.

If both U and V have the same orientation, then this multiplication A*V is equivalent to multiplication by a scalar (λ) as far as V is concerned, as the direction is unchanged. Then this particular vector V is called EIGEN VECTOR of matrix A. So for the EIGEN VECTOR V, A*V =λV. This scalar λ corresponding to EIGEN VECTOR V is called the EIGEN VALUE.

So for the EIGEN VECTOR V, multiplication by the matrix A can be replaced by multiplication by the scalar λ.

We can note that for each EIGEN VALUE there will be a number of EIGEN VECTORS, each one related to the other by a scale factor. Because of that EIGEN VECTORS are computed for unit magnitude.

EIGEN VECTORS and EIGEN VALUES are derived from the Matrix involved.

EIGEN VALUES have some properties

1. Sum of the EIGEN VALUES is equal to the sum of the elements in the main diagonal of A.

2.Product of EIGEN VALUES is equal to the Determinant A.

Read book by Lari Moore on Adaptive signal processing.

Cheers....

Re: EIGEN VALUES (significance in LSI systems)

The eigen value of a matrix is defined as follows : if Ax = λx then λ is called the eigen value of the matrix A.

In continuous time signals: e^*(j*Wo*t) is an eigen value for a LSI system H,
since
H(x) = λ*x ---- where x = e^(j*Wo*t)
i.e If the i/p to an LSI system is a sinusoid, then the output is scaled
(possibly time shifted) version of that sinusoid.

When a signal can be represented as a sum of sinusoids using fourier
transform/series, i.e as a sum of eigen values. The output of a LSI system can
be represented as weighted sum of the eigen values/ sinusoids. And the weights
are given by the transfer function of LSI system "H".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back