Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the embedded C and how does it differ from normal C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

etherios

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Embedded C

The last three days i have heard at least 20 times the words embedded C.What is this? Has it differences from the ordinary C?

Re: Embedded C

"C" as originially written was for developing operating systems on mini computers. The power and elegance of this tool soon made it very popular for all types of applications. It soon moved to the micro computers that were taking the place of the larger machines. In all these incarnations of the language assumed cetain things about the machine that it was running on, certain resources and certain ways of doing things.

When embedded processors are used; the resources are often a subset of those in the traditional "c" settings. Also, the way things are done, i.e input/output are often differenct. When talking about "embedded C" people are talking about "C" that attempts to adressed these differences.

It appears that I submitted the same comment twice. Sorry about that, but I'll modify my dublicate posting to answer the question about sources of information about embedded C.

Search for information on the 8051, PIC, and AVR. There are lots of ebooks for these micros because they have been around for a while. You will find lots of users and pre-existing applications in a varriety of languages for these micros.

In the embedded world you may need to be a bit more aweare of the physical implementation of the hardware, so you may want to get some haredware references too. These refs are readily available on the web for these mature micros. (another approach is to work with embedded 8086/8088 micros but I think the 1st approach is better.) Also, consider getting a cheap single board developement system, for the micro you select as your introduction to embedded C.

Do you know any good book for embedded C? Should i read something also about operating systems?

Search for the book of Michael Pont. SOme books are not anymore published, out of print already, I am looking for the book of Schulz, headr it is a good one bit out of print.

And so, may be another good refernce is to see, which miro processor, you want to use in your designas and study the C programming guide specially for that processor?

O'relly book -- Progrmming Embedded Systems in C and C++,
Is it the same with this topic ??

Usualy those C are ANSI C so you dont need to learn some sepcial C. Only diferences are interuppts, accessing pins directly and so on, but this you can read in manual from manufacturer of C.

Mr.Cube

The synax is just like ANSI C, but it not run in intel x86 CPU.
Every CPU has it's compiler. For other compiler used for other embedded system.
But mostly they like.
of course there is different, for embeded system, may be it is 16 bit. may be there is no so much memory like PC to use.
So when you use C to develop embeded system . Be careful

Embedded C .... its a cool word for C applied by people that don't know what really are PC's.

C are normally called a "medium level" language, that are compiled o "low level" language (normally ASM), there are efforts to standard it syntax/semantics (one of it by ANSI) to avoid an anarchy of compiler implementations.

Depending on the target processor, the compiler should be different, because the available instructions are different. If the target is Intel Pentium you can use MS VC++, if is PIC you can use HTPICC. GNU have compilers for many, many uP's.

But the base of every one is the Von Neumann machine (more sophisticated uP's like P4 HiperThreading use new approaches to increase performance), of course depending on the processor the modules/functionalities inside it are differences and you can get differences processing powers. Because of that some C (ANSI or not) statements are not available in some compilers, the target processor haven't enough resources to implement it...

Embedded its because, the target processor its in a scenario of a small device PDA's, PC104, and devices using PIC, AVR, AMR, 8051, .....

NeuralC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back