Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the Differential Pulse Code Modulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aslamzohaib

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am new to telecom
I want to ask what is Differential Pulse Code Modulation....and how it is different from simple PCM...It would be great for me if someone explains through graphs....
Thanks....

Re: DPCM

Hi
DPCM stands for Differential pulse coding modulation it is a data modulation scheme where you use a predictor at the transmitter and reciever and send only the sampled and quantized difference between the original signal and the predicted signal . NOTE : This scheme only works for signals which are correlated i.e. u can design a linear predictor . The scheme is significantly better than PCM in which u directly sample the signal , quantize it and send it u get SNR gains of as high as 25DB in some cases for the same bit rate or advantage of 3 to 4 bits for the same SNR .

Status
Not open for further replies.