Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is pilot in channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazdaspring

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is pilot? can you explain to me for link me to some information. Thank you.

Hi,
May be its like this ( though im not sure exactly this is what you are referring to)

Say in an analog communication channel which transmit signal using frequency tones..f1, f2, f3 ..means different coded information..
While the channel is idle the link connectivity/link protection between two entities is ensured by sending a continuous tone between two stations, some times called a guard tone..
I think pilot tone is also having some similar functions like synchronizing,ensuring connectivity..etc between two stations.Have seen it being mentioned in PLC channels and some old telephone line communication systems..
Hope this helps..

Analogue stereo FM radio uses a pilot at 19 KHZ. This is because the the basic mono signal (receivable by every one) is L + R, The L-R channel is modulated on to a 38 KHZ carrier. The transmission of the pilot allows the receiver to double it to 38 KHZ and so demodulate the L-R . This is then added to the mono and also taken away from it, so L + R + (L -R ) = 2L, L-R -( L + R )= -2R.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.