Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is Perl script used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manish Sharma

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what perl for?

hello there
can anybody suggest me for Perl . that what's perl for ... perl is used for which type of programming ........... in networks and what's the hand of perl in A.I and if in embedded

what perl for?

hi,
perl is used for processing text, suppose u want to filter text or find some text or process textual data, then u use perl,
so perl may be used in networks for processing the incoming request, similarly in AI, but u should get the essence that perl is a technology and it can be applied in fields such as network,web,AI as required.

Re: what perl for?

The first site below gives you the answer to your question. The second is the index to the rest of the PERL documentation

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

what perl for?

perl is a scipting language, it is simple and powerful for regular expression. usually we write a short program for some specific job. but is can also be use to concate a lot of tools written by other language. and there are a lot of lib you can use.
another script language - Tcltk is better since it has GUI. (perl-tk is not easy to use)

what perl for?

Hi

Perl is a handy and must tool for every man/woman who likes the power of managing his/her projects and extract or generate some other files.

tnx

what perl for?

I have found this in a book about Perl:
Perl Medic: Transforming Legacy Code
By Peter J. Scott

Obtaining Perl
It would be remiss of me to tell you so much about Perl without telling you how to get it, although these days it's hard to avoid; you probably already have it, especially if you have any flavor of UNIX or Linux. The easiest way to find out whether you have it is to get a command prompt and type:

perl -v

and see if you get a response. If not, try:

whereis perl

which on a UNIX system or similar will look around for Perl. If that doesn't work for you either, here are brief instructions on how to download and install Perl:

For Microsoft Windows machines, get the free ActivePerl distribution: **broken link removed**

For Macintosh:

https://www.cpan.org/ports/index.html#mac

(That URL is for pre-X versions of the OS; Perl comes with Mac OS X and builds fine on it, too.)

For binary distributions for all other machines:

https://www.cpan.org/ports/

For the source of perl itself:

https://www.cpan.org/src/

The source file you want is called stable.tar.gz. The file devel.tar.gz is for Perl developers or testers only, and the file latest.tar.gz is the same as stable.tar.gz for complex historical reasons. Anything mentioning "Ponie" will be for developers only through 2004 at least, and any perl with a three-number component version with an odd middle number is likewise a development version.

Building Perl from source on a supported UNIX architecture requires just these commands after you download and unpack the right file:

./Configure

make

make test

make install

The Configure step asks you zillions of questions, and most people won't have a clue what many of those questions are talking about; but the default answers Configure recommends are usually correct.[2]

[2] If you want to let Configure use those recommendations and go on without asking you, you can give it the options -des and it'll churn away happily without your intervention. If you need more platform-specific help, look in the distribution for the README.platform file corresponding to your system.

www.cpan.org is the master Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN) site, mirrored around the world. CPAN is also the official repository of contributed modules (see Section 8.1).

what perl for?

And here is another from another book:
Beginning Perl for Bioinformatics
James Tisdall

2.2 Perl's Benefits
The following sections illustrate some of Perl's strong points.

2.2.1 Ease of Programming
Computer languages differ in which things they make easy. By "easy" I mean easy for a programmer to program. Perl has certain features that simplifies several common bioinformatics tasks. It can deal with information in ASCII text files or flat files, which are exactly the kinds of files in which much important biological data appears, in the GenBank and PDB databases, among others. (See the discussion of ASCII in Chapter 4; Genbank and PDB are the subjects in Chapter 10 and Chapter 11.) Perl makes it easy to process and manipulate long sequences such as DNA and proteins. Perl makes it convenient to write a program that controls one or more other programs. As a final example, Perl is used to put biology research labs, and their results, on their own dynamic web sites. Perl does all this and more.

Although Perl is a language that's remarkably suited to bioinformatics, it isn't the only choice nor is it always the best choice. Other programming languages such as C and Java are also used in bioinformatics. The choice of language depends on the problem to be programmed, the skills of the programmers, and the available system.

2.2.2 Rapid Prototyping
Another important benefit of using Perl for biological research is the speed with which a programmer can write a typical Perl program (referred to as rapid prototyping). Many problems can be solved in far fewer lines of Perl code than in C or Java. This has been important to its success in research. In a research environment there are frequent needs for programs that do something new, that are needed only once or occasionally, or that need to be frequently modified. In Perl, you can often toss such a program off in a few minutes or a few hours work, and the research can proceed. This rapid prototyping ability is often a key consideration when choosing Perl for a job. It is common to find programmers familiar with both Perl and C who claim that Perl is five to ten times faster to program in than C. The difference can be critical in the typical understaffed research lab.

2.2.3 Portability, Speed, and Program Maintenance
Portability means how many types of computer systems the language can run on. Perl has no problems there, as it's available for virtually all modern computers found in biology labs. If you write a DNA analyzer in Perl on your Mac, then move it to a Windows computer, you'll find it usually runs as is or with only minor retrofitting.

Speed means the speed with which the program runs. Here Perl is pretty good but not the best. For speed of execution, the usual language of choice is C. A program written in C typically runs two or more times faster than the comparable Perl program. (There are ways of speeding up Perl with compilers and such, but still... .)

In many organizations, programs are first written in Perl, and then only the programs that absolutely need to have maximum speed are rewritten in C. The fact is, maximum speed is only occasionally an important consideration.

Programming is relatively expensive to do: it takes time, and skilled personnel. It's labor-intensive. On the other hand, computers and computer time (often called CPU time after the central processing unit) are relatively inexpensive. Most desktop computers sit idle for a large part of the day, anyway. So it's usually best to let the computer do the work, and save the programmer's time. Unless your program absolutely must run in say, four seconds instead of ten seconds, you're okay with Perl.

Program maintenance is the general activity of keeping everything working: such activities as adding features to a program, extending it to handle more types of input, porting it to run on other computer systems, fixing bugs, and so forth. Programs take a certain amount of time, effort and cost to write, but successful programs end up costing more to maintain than they did to write in the first place. It's important to write in a language, and in a style, that makes maintenance relatively easy, and Perl allows you to do so. (You can write obscure, hard-to-maintain code in Perl, as in other languages, but I'll give you pointers on how to make your code easy for other programmers to read.)

2.2.4 Versions of Perl
Perl, like almost all popular software, has gone through much growth and change over the course of its nearly 15-year life. The authors—Larry Wall and a large group of cohorts—publish new versions periodically. These new versions have been carefully designed to support most programs written under old versions, but occasionally some major new features are added that don't work with older versions of Perl.

This book assumes you have Perl Version 5 or higher installed. If you have Perl installed on your computer, it's likely Perl 5, but it's best to check. On a Unix or Linux system, or from an MS-DOS or MacOS X command window, the perl -v command displays the version number, in my case, Version 5.6.1. The number 5.6.1 is "bigger" than 5; that means it's okay. If you get a smaller number (very likely 4.036), you have to install a recent version of Perl to enable the majority of programs in this book to run as shown.

What about future versions? Perl is always evolving, and Perl Version 6 is on the horizon. Will the code in this book still work in Perl 6? The answer is yes. Although Perl 6 is going to add some new things to the language, it should have no trouble with the Perl 5 code in this book.

I downloaded these 2 books long time ago and do not remember where they are on net, now. If there is anyone here love these books, just request by pm.
Sincerely yours
password is unknown

what perl for?

Hi
A good news for all person who have problems in the usefulness of perl.

I will start a set of posts for the collected archives of Perl for EDA and more.

What a while for this.

tnx

jimjim2k said:
Hi
A good news for all person who have problems in the usefulness of perl.

I will start a set of posts for the collected archives of Perl for EDA and more.

What a while for this.

tnx

Hi

Look at:

tnx

PERL and AI

Hi, recently i have been toying around with perl and ai (part of a college project) and came across a cool implementation of a back prop neural network in perl... which is really interesting (yet i see no purpose other than studying...)

the name of the package, im sorry, but i forgot, but if you look in your active repositories for Back Propagation neural network you shall find it...

Ps: to me perl is by far the best scripting language i ever used....

Keep on perling the free world!

what perl for?

hi,

Perl is one of the best scripting language.
you can also add GUI to your script with perl/Tk.
you can also find many e-books on perl to start with ...

djalli said:
niuniu said:
perl is a scipting language, it is simple and powerful for regular expression.
Is the only scripting language for now to have more network protocols and functions.

Hi

No.
Python now seems used in more serious situation.
Google's Googlebot uses python.

tnx

what perl for?

Perl is a handy language and powerful weapon in text processing, also in network programming. For IC design engineers, Perl is a good choice for RTL code processing.

mmazio said:
Perl is a handy language and powerful weapon in text processing, also in network programming. For IC design engineers, Perl is a good choice for RTL code processing.

Hi

Have you any expr. to share here?

tnx

jigjack said:
hi,

Do any of you have a soft copy of "Mastering Perl/Tk" from O'Reilly ??

please let me know ...

thanks.

Hi

See
tnx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back