Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is JTAG and what are its functions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebad_suparco

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is JTAG

Please tell me what is JTAG and whats its function

Re: what is JTAG

Joint Test action group..

take a look at this

h**p://www.jtag.com/main.php wud surely help u..

with regards,

Please refer to IEEE 1149.1 standard.

Four-pin (plus power/ground) interface designed to test connections between chips. Interface is serial (clocked via the TCK pin). Configuration is performed by manipulating a state machine one bit at a time (via TMS pin), then transferring one bit of data in and out per TCK clock (via TDI and TDO pins, respectively). Different instruction modes can be loaded to read the chip ID, sample input pins, drive (or float) output pins, manipulate chip functions, or bypass (pipe TDI to TDO to logically shorten chains of multiple chips). Operating frequency varies per chip, but is typically 10-100MHz TCK (10-100ns per bit time). K Kb Kilobits (Note that storage (RAM, disc) is usually measured in binary thousands, i.e., 1,024 bits.)

what is JTAG

that's right.

thanks

what is JTAG

jtag is standard protocol for program some chips like microcontoler or FPGA with for port

see this link:

Complete info on JTAG IS GIVEN HERE:

**broken link removed**

what is JTAG

I also interested into know abt JTAG

what is JTAG

It consists of four-pins excluding power, to test connections between chips. The JTAG stands for Joint Test Access Group....

Some of the RISC CPU can also make use of the built-in JTAG port to download program into its on board memory for SW development and debugging. It does not only use for testing connection between chips.

Some embedded systems also use it to program its on-board FLASH memory for firmware reprogramming.

For FPGA design & development, it is the main connection to download the programming bit stream into its internal configration SRAM.

what is JTAG

Can any one explain JTAG timing? i.e. how does the timing diagram looks like between tck, tdi and tdo?
All the papers here are useless as they do not explain this main issue.

Generally the IEEE standard defines a functional timing. It says, which performance specifications have to be given by manufacturers, e. g. TCK setup and hold, TDO delay. Chip vendors often show complete timing diagrams, see a figure from an Altera FPGA manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back