Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is hardware watchdog

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanchope

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is hardware watchdog? How is it different from software wdt?

regards
Wanchope

hardware watchdog may be used to monitor hardware usage, it is itself a software, as far as i know , such as a software to monitor the usage of your monitor.

wanchope said:
What is hardware watchdog? How is it different from software wdt?

regards
Wanchope
Obviously, hardware watchdog is piece of equipment (hardware) that monitors some other pieces of equipment, based on electrical signals supplied from those devices to the watchdog itself. Based on those signals the watchdog can take appropriate actions, like switching on or off various redudant modules (PSU, CPU etc).

Watchdog is used to reset the processor when software is stuck in infinite loop for some reason. Hardware watchdog is implemented in the same microcontroller or it can be a external device.

You initialize the watchdog timer with some value of your choice based on your requirements and its starts counting, you need to restart the watchdog timer frequently from your software and the duration between two watchdog restart should be less then the timeout specified by you. If you don't restart the timer eventually it will timeout and it will reset the controller assuming that your code has been stuck.

I don't have much info about software watchdog.

what dipal_z said is indeed about SW Watchdog.
HW Wdg works in the same way as SW Wdg.The difference being in a SW Wdg you will not have any external circuitry intended for your Wdg application.SW periodically resets the count( in a Register) within the specified time.
But in a HW Wdg you will have external circuitry supporting your Wdg application

Hi, all,
Thanks for your reply.
I have a handheld wince device. From time to time, it will hang. I have not figured out the cause yet.
What circuit do i need to implement a hardware watchdog?
This wince device is based on samsung s3c2410 (ARM9) technology.

regards
Wanchope

Status
Not open for further replies.