Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is difference in maintaining 50 Hz against 60 Hz(USA) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manju_nath200

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am much curious in knowing the essence of,

Why India ( other majority countries - EU, USSR, China,France) generates and maintains electrical power at 50 Hz frequency while that of USA at 60 Hz ?

Any technical reason or advantages in maintaining 50 or 60 ?

Re: what is difference in maintaining 50 Hz against 60 Hz(US

I have been told that the 60 was a last minute decision because motors would have higher torque. It also produces more hysteresis loss in transformers but requires less core material.

I suspect that today some other frequency would be used based on cost optimization of materials at present prices.

Some countries use 25 Hz.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally believe it is even less technical than as described by Lamme. Europe was all but settled on 50hz (German AEG), General Electric settled on 40hz. Westinghouse decided to go with 60hz. Why not all be the same? Why does a Ford Mustang look different than a Chevy Corrvette? Why are Mcdonald's hamburgers not quite the same as Burger King's?

Its about establishing a "brand" or an identity separate from your competitiors. However, if one particular company gets so big and so powerful that it begins to influence everything about their market, you have to either change to survive or die continuing with the old.

Once Westinghouse won the Niagra Falls Hydro-Power and Buffalo Transmission Project AND at the same time started taking HUGE chunks out of the lighting and appliance market from Edison / GE, all eventually had to go with 60hz here in the US. The same applies to all the individual companies in Europe.

Bryan P. Holland, ICC Electrical Code Official
CBO, Plans Examiner, Inspector, Instructor
Secretary - IAEI Florida Gulf Coast Division
Secretary - BOAF Gulf Coast Chapter

The middle frequencies (40-60) make the most sense, but there is really nothing special about any one ..

IanP
:D

IanP said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally believe it is even less technical than as described by Lamme. Europe was all but settled on 50hz (German AEG), General Electric settled on 40hz. Westinghouse decided to go with 60hz. Why not all be the same? Why does a Ford Mustang look different than a Chevy Corrvette? Why are Mcdonald's hamburgers not quite the same as Burger King's?

Its about establishing a "brand" or an identity separate from your competitiors. However, if one particular company gets so big and so powerful that it begins to influence everything about their market, you have to either change to survive or die continuing with the old.

Once Westinghouse won the Niagra Falls Hydro-Power and Buffalo Transmission Project AND at the same time started taking HUGE chunks out of the lighting and appliance market from Edison / GE, all eventually had to go with 60hz here in the US. The same applies to all the individual companies in Europe.

Bryan P. Holland, ICC Electrical Code Official
CBO, Plans Examiner, Inspector, Instructor
Secretary - IAEI Florida Gulf Coast Division
Secretary - BOAF Gulf Coast Chapter

The middle frequencies (40-60) make the most sense, but there is really nothing special about any one ..

IanP
:D

Sir,

as answer to my question , yes , i have to agree with you........

seems that it's all about BRAND and maintaining individuality in global market

Thank you sir

Status
Not open for further replies.