Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is basically an inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss_engg

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is inductor basically means if we untwist that coil and make it straight wire still it will be called inductor.. ??

kindly response me ...

Thankyou

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductor
Any wire (or conductor) will have inductance but it will not the same if it is coiled. It Also depends on the core on which is winded. For example a 3mm x 1mm wire has an inductance around 24nHy. Which may be significant in high frequency circuits (VHF, UHF and beyond). Then you can use it as an inductor.
In other applications where more inductance is required you need to wind the wire a number of turns of perhaps add a core of ferrite or some other magnetic material to get even more inductance.

What is inductor basically means if we untwist that coil and make it straight wire still it will be called inductor.. ??

kindly response me ...

Thankyou
Let me make you clear what i actually think an inductor is! Inductor is basically used to store magnetic energy when current flows through it. Actually, when current flows through a straight conductor, the conductor still stores the magnetic energy, however, it is very negligible as compared to a coil. It is because the energy stored is directly proportional to the area of the conductor which is obviously larger in case of a coil. (For detail refer https://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/302l/lectures/node103.html This energy is then used up by the load for a short instant as soon as the main source is switched off.. The inductor's associated magnetic field then collapses...
Therefore, when you untwist a coil to make a straight wire, it will definitely not be able to store magnetic energy. so, why to call it an inductor?

what is the main logic behind twisting the coil ?

what is the main logic behind twisting the coil ?

Read some history! Oersted discovered that a current through a straight wire moves a compass needle. Others discovered that a solenoid coil (not twisted but several turns on an iron core) makes much stronger effects.

Do your experiments. Your questions clearly demonstrate you have read nothing and did nothing.

Basically, when you coil the wire you are concentrating the magnetic flux. Also each turn interacts with every other turn. This coupling increases the self inductance of the coil with respect to the straight wire.
Here are some drawings
http://kenolab.com/projects/Magnetic Transmitter/

I still not get the main reason why we twist the wire.. pleaase elaborate it more..
i shall be thankful to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.