Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is an Ethernet Digital I/O Module?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amraldo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is an Ethernet Digital I/O Module?
How to implement it?
--
Amr Ali

Ethernet Digital I/O is a module that controls I/O pins using commands through Ethernet connection.
--
Amr Ali

Yes. Typically a µP with ethernet connectivity and an embedded TCP/IP stack is used to implement it.

They may have other functionalities and protocols Like ICMP, UDP, TCP, IP, HTTP, FTP...
--
Amr Ali

Ok, so it literally is a DIO with an Ethernet connection. I've actually used an ARM board for that very purpose from:

Technologic Systems

Depending on the number of DIO lines you need, most of their boards have 20 DIO lines or more, their linux based with drivers and API freely available, great technical support and the are pc/104 based with DIO modules with up to 64 lines. The TS-7200 cost me around $100, works great.

Of course if you want to implement it from the ground up, then FvM suggestion of a uP with some glue is probably the quickest route. Check out this open source TCP/IP Suite I've used in the past:

Lightweight TCP/IP

Designed specifically for uP and FGPA with SoftCores implementations.

It can be manufactured with components much cheaper than u suggest here in egypt
I made an initial cost estimate of around 30 USD.
--
Amr Ali

Actually, I did not suggest any cost of manufacturing the unit.

I only mentioned I used a readily available board with good results and what it had cost me. I also mentioned you could "Roll Your Own" with a uP.

If you or someone else can do the coding, you can have Microchip send you a couple of sample PICs with builtin Ethernet for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.