Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is an actuator and what does it do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kob

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
w hat is actuator

what is actuator? what it means?

Re: what is actuator?

hi,

Definition
actuator An electromechanical device that uses electromagnetism to produce a longitudinal or rotary thrust for mechanical work. It is often the end (load) device of a servosystem.

source: The illustrated dictionary of electronics, McGraw hill publishers.

/cedance

kob

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

May be we can say for it: activating device. Actuator activates the device or system which is the controlled part of a control system. For example for a pump, a motor is actuator. It activates the pump. Pump is controlled device or target in a control system. For a motor a power drive is an actuator etc.

I have a book for acurators if you want to learn more about it, I'll share it.

Regards

In the field of mechanical engg., actuator doesn't have to be electromagnetic. It can be a pure mechanical device, as long as it produces mechanical work. For example: pneumatic cylinder, etc.

The purpose of the actuator is giving the work done such as a motor converted electrical power to mechanical power or Pneumaic cylinder converted the air pressure to mechanical power. It depends on your control system.

what is actuator?

drive unit which can used to drive robot.
function material SMA, IPMC

I think acutator is component in control system that drive the plant, i.e., make the matched 'control signal' for plant to work.

adick said:
In the field of mechanical engg., actuator doesn't have to be electromagnetic. It can be a pure mechanical device, as long as it produces mechanical work. For example: pneumatic cylinder, etc.

the only right answer!

newborn said:
adick said:

the only right answer!

Then you should read again!

Status
Not open for further replies.