Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a "mixed signal" engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rukf

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please comment on the 'definition' of a Mixed signal Engineer vs. analog & rf....
Does a Mixed signal Engineer only work on the intersection of the analog and digital 'parts' of a Mixed signal design?

Please clarify.
Thanks,
Paul

you can't talk about mixed, analog or digital engineer, because when you are an electronic engineer you have to know about analog and digital electronics. it is part of an integral engineer.
may be you can get specialization on one topic, but a good engineer have knowledge on both fields

rukf said:
Please comment on the 'definition' of a Mixed signal Engineer vs. analog & rf....
Does a Mixed signal Engineer only work on the intersection of the analog and digital 'parts' of a Mixed signal design?

Please clarify.
Thanks,
Paul
I never hear of "Mixed Signal Engineer" but I have heard a lot of "mixed-signal design". All engineers in their carieer works with pure analog and pure digitial signals of course. But also they work quite frequently with "mixed-signal designs". What part of the globe are you Paul?

I worked for a semi in TX and we had mixed signal Engineers.
The mixed signal designs have 'independent' analog and digital parts, which were obviously handled by two different teams. Maybe the mixed signal Engineers dealt with interfacing the analog and digital parts.... what do you think?
Let me ask another question: what does it mean to specialize in mixed signal designs? what components are catagorized as mixed signal designs?
I apologize if it sounds like a stupid question but I'd appreciate your answer.

Thanks

mixed signal are chips with analog and digital signals on them.

digital logic has square waves.
analog chips have sine waves

rf chips have sine waves

if you have something with both, it is mixed signal.

examples - pll, opamp, broadband logic, data communication, frequency synthesizers, analog to digital and digital to analog converter, bandgap references, clock/data recovery, and so on.

Puppet1 has said bandgap references needs a mixer signal engineer, but i can't see how does, may someone tell me?

just because most ADC/DAC need bandgap circuits

before : mixed signal = analog + digital
(parts comprising of blocks of digital logic, ADC, DAC, Codecs, etc. such as in a DSP)

now : mixed signal = analog + digital + RF
(comprising blocks of digital logic, ADC, DAC, Codecs, DSP, packet radio, RF modems such as in a SoC)

Keep in mind although the term is loosely used, most mixed signal stuff is a lot of digital.

RF & mixed signal engineers are "usually" the same and I would guess the term is being used to seek out an IC designer with analogue experience. These people are still quite rare as most IC designers are or grew up as digital designers. Using CMOS in analogue and/or RF mode is quite different from digital mode. More passive components are fabricated on chip like resistors and capacitors so layout becomes more challenging.

Then is it common or a routine that an rf or mixed signal designer have to do the layout by himself?
Thanks.

As a FAB device engineer, I wish ....
Unfortunately this is rarely the case. Most modern software automatically do the layout - big mistake !!! Especially for analogue or RF. Will they listen ??? Nooooo.............
Automatic layout for analogue and RF has huge disadvantages. Best listen to FAB engineers if they are willing to talk.
I have limited experience down to 90nm.

CMOS is historically mix signal. now SiGe as a new technology goes toward very high frequency. Another technology that mixed RF (Analog) and digital is the HBT InP technology. The first two still can have many active devices in a chip. The InP is still limited.

D.J

To me a MIXED signal Engineer is SOMBODY that is MORE in TOUCH with REALITY , and with more understanding of the REAL WORLD and capable of really doing engineering

The new skills required are :
MATHEMATICAL MODELING
FUZZY LOGIC
RF

Basically, the most important job of mixed engineer is trying solve noise problem. So he must know about analog more than digital

Status
Not open for further replies.