Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What IC structure can I use to design temperatur sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronwlee

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All

Right now, I am considering to desing an IC which could sense the temperature. I only have access to common process like TSMC 0.18, thus I can only use techniques within the chip. Can you give me some suggestion?

Thanks

Aaron

by using temperature dependent element like voltage of diode or PTAT current.
As a starting point I would suggest to check the bandgap voltage reference, I would simply modify a basic bandgap....

hi aaronwlee,

a method is to measure the ratio of PTAT voltage to bandgap reference voltage using an adc.

see this paper:
A CMOS Smart Temperature Sensor With a 3σ Inaccuracy of +/-0.1°C From -55°C to 125°C - Michiel A. P. Pertijs

It depends on how accurately you would like to sense the temperature and also what temperature range you are interested in. The other posters in this thread have suggested some good ideas (I myself use a PTAT temperature sensor).

If it is silicon based you can use the vertical or lateral parasitic bipolar to generate a PTAT signal and the reference is from the bandgap reference signal. In addition you might want to interface a first order sigma delta converter for digital readout. Depending on your accuracy requirements you might need additional front end circuitry and higher order modulators for the Delta Sigma ADC

The issue with PTAT signal is the process variation is significant. Usually two-points calibration is needed.

PTAT using two diodes is not process sensitive. You cancel out the process variation by using two junctions very close to one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back