Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What happens if DMM is used to measure > 250VDC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your meter rated for CAT II, should survive but hard telling what the actual measurement outside its
250 VAC rated measurement scale.

**broken link removed**

Regards,. Dana.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Applying the specified surge pulses and temporary overvoltages according to 300V CAT II must not cause safety issues, e.g. shorting the input voltage, spread of fire or exposing hazardous contact voltage to the operator.

You probably also expect that no permanent reduction of accuracy or damage is caused by the overvoltage, this expectation is however beyond the scope of safety regulations. Don't use the instrument outside the specified voltage range.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Seems very odd that anyone would make a DMM which couldnt measure the mains in its known range...ie, up to 265VAC.

Also, its DC voltage range is only up to 250V...when European mains peak is 311V......seems very odd to make a meter which just falls short of what is likely to be its mains useage?
If i measure EU mains with this meter and it blows up, then i think anyone would be right to feel very disappointed in the meter.

Why would you use a meter not rated for your intended purpose? That’s like plugging a 12v bulb into a 230V circuit and then complaining the bulb is poorly designed.

There are DMMs that can measure upto 1000VDC. There are desktop meters with very robust performance. You need the right tool.

I am not sure but the idea is that a handheld multimeter must not be used to measure very high voltages- you may fail to take required safety precautions.

Still, you can use a high voltage probe with a regular DMM- just search for high voltage probes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back