Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What exactly is BP Amp and AmpI/AmpQ value (in GPS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

replay

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What exactly are BP Amp and AmpI/AmpQ values? (SIMCom GPS)

Hello,

I have a question regarding GPS antenna (at least I think it's about the antenna). While checking out GPS features (like TTFF and GPS accuracy) of my SIMCom 3G & GPS EVB kit I've noticed this AmpI/AmpQ term which is a part of GPS fix. Typical fix info (copy-pasted from SIMCom documentation) that one can get on a serial port would be something like this :
+CGPSINFO:3113.343286,N,12121.234064,E,250311,072809.3,44.1,0.0,0
AmpI/AmpQ: 420/421

My question is, what exactly is this AmpI/AmpQ? What are I and Q? SIMCom documentation gives no explanation. All I can tell is that this value depends a lot on GPS antenna's positioning & environment and that also it differs from one antenna to another (I've tried 3 different GPS antennas). Typical values of AmpI/AmpQ that I'm getting are in a range from, say, 380/370 to 640/640, depends on the antenna's position. Googling didn't help a lot either, all I could have found so far is that this AmpI/AmpQ value might have something to do with BP Amp and noise input level to ADC.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.