Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does this 100AH written on a battery indicates??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hameeds01

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
battery 100ah what does this mean

100AH @ 12v as mentioned on a battery, does it means that a battery is capable of providing 100amps of current for 1 hour at 12 volts?

100ah discharging in hours?

yes that's what it means.

but (and there is ALWAYS a but) the battery is not actually designed to support that rate of discharge.

without knowing more about your battery, i would stick to the general rule of thumb.. as .. do not discharge your batter faster than its "C/20" rate.

C/20?

100AH / 20 = 5Ah.

do not discharge your battery with currents higher than 5 amps. at this max value, you can expect the discharge to last for 20 hours.

Mr.Cool

Basically yes, but the capacity is usual defined for a slower discharge (several hours), it may be somewhat lower for a 1 h discharge. This has to be defined in datasheets.

As the question is also here

the answer is the same: Peukert's Law :)

''As the rate increases, the battery's capacity decreases, although its actual capacity tends to remain fairly constant. ''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert's_law

And to add to the previous info - the power that you get from the battery is related to temperature as well.

Hi,
I feel Mr.Cool's rating is really cool. I would have safely recommended a ten hour rating. Now, whichever law controls the current rating, how much current can we draw from a 100AMPH battery for a one hour full discharge? Also, I do not think that the UPS manufacturers when quote for half an hour backup, they do derate the batteries to this extent, they almost go by the AMPH rating of the battery itself multiplied by the efficiency of the inverter?
Regards,
Laktronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back