Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does the 5th resistor color band mean ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uw

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Resistor Colour Coding

Resistors generally have a total of 4 colour bands....3 colour bands which define the value of the resistor and the 4th one that defines the percentage variation.

However, some resistors have five colour bands. These resistors are generally used in military devices. What is the significance of the 5th colour band ?? I have looked up several books but i couldn`t find any information about the 5th band.

Re: Resistor Colour Coding

Hi,

Resistance values are specified by the E series. See this link to view the different series and their respective values :

h**p://www.logwell.com/tech/components/resistor_values.html

For the E6 to E24 series, values are coded on 3 digit ending with 0, a power of ten, so their value can be coded by 3 colors. Tolerance is the fourth color

Over the E24 serie, resistance values are ending with a digit different from 0. Their value are coded on 4 digit, the last one is the power of ten. Tolerance is the fifth color.

* = t

Resistor Colour Coding

the 4 lines are 5 percent resistors
and 5 lines are 1 and less persentage
nice program is resistor color coder( Resistor CC) from schematica

Hi Friend,

The fifth colour band is the coding for the working temperature range.

Regards,
Avinash.S.

hi
i think papayaki answer is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back