Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does m=10 mean in MOS schematics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinito

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
transistor layout

I've seen some schematics of MOS with m = 10 etc. What does it mean when you say multiplier (I assume that's what m stands for) is 10 for this transistor? Does it mean 10 parallel transistors of same size or what? Thanks in advance.

Re: transistor layout

It means 10 parallel transistors of same size.

Chinito, bear7679 is correct that M means 10 parallel transistors of the same size, but it does not answer the question of how are they drawn... one device with 10 stripes or 10 instances of a one stripe device. If you use a tool like virtuosoXL, it will treat M as multiplier, and place 10 individual devices down (by default) ... which is almost never what you want!! In your schematic, do you have a fingers or stripes variable as well as M or just Mso you can tell exactly what the layout should be?

David Reynolds

I agree with the above two replies. Multiplication means in parellel.
By doing this, you can reduce the gate resistor and reduce the R*C delay.

i agree the upper isues.
In addition, this most happens in the input MOSs of differential OPAMP where need good matching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back