Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What component is this?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a variable inductor with slug tunning. Good luck Do not forget the "Helped me Button"

pranam77 said:
It is a variable inductor with slug tunning. Good luck Do not forget the "Helped me Button"
thanks.. can you tell how this is used...and wat is the purpose for using it.....

The photographs are not clear but it looks like it is part of the tuning in a radio receiver of some kind.

Inductors have lots of uses but I'm guessing in your application it is used to pick a particular radio frequency out of the radio spectrum. It is a tuning control but designed to be set in a factory rather than adjusted in everyday use.

There are many manufacturers and thousands of values so you would find it hard to find a data sheet. If you suspect it is faulty, use an Ohm meter connected to the pins you can see have wires going to them. It is actually copper wire wound around a plastic shaft so it should show a short circuit between the ends of the wires. The 'screw' in the middle is made of Ferrite and will break very easily if you use the wrong tool to turn it so be careful.

Brian.

betwixt said:
The photographs are not clear but it looks like it is part of the tuning in a radio receiver of some kind.

Inductors have lots of uses but I'm guessing in your application it is used to pick a particular radio frequency out of the radio spectrum. It is a tuning control but designed to be set in a factory rather than adjusted in everyday use.

There are many manufacturers and thousands of values so you would find it hard to find a data sheet. If you suspect it is faulty, use an Ohm meter connected to the pins you can see have wires going to them. It is actually copper wire wound around a plastic shaft so it should show a short circuit between the ends of the wires. The 'screw' in the middle is made of Ferrite and will break very easily if you use the wrong tool to turn it so be careful.

Brian.

Yes that is a circuit board of a radio controlled car operating at 27 mhz...

Guess thatz a board of the 27 Mhz remote transmitter for your project. The slug tunned coil MAY be used to amplify the crystal oscilltor signal or aa an oscillator coil itself. It MAY also be used as a transformor in the output stage where by tunning, you may get peal output from the final stage. Good luck

It is a tuned inductor and posibly has a capacitor working in series or paralel with it.
Its inductance and resonant frequancy can be changed by turning the core inside the former.
It is used to tune a circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.