Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the operation modes of a PIN diode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpapka

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi can anyone help me with modes of opreation of a PIN diode? Im stuck on my project and i reaaly need this..thanxs

Re: PIN MODES

RF Modes:

Fully on, current is flowing (>10 mA), dioes looks like a small resistance (1-3 ohms)

Fully off, a reverse bias voltage of more than 5 volts is applied to the diode. Almost no dc current flows. Diode looks like a small capacitance (1 to 0.1 pF) with a large RF resistance (3 K or so) in parallel

In between, diode has a forwavd current flowing, but it is too small to fully turn on the diode, maybe in the 100 uA to 1 mA range. Diode looks like a resistor (10 to 100 ohms) with a large capacitance (maybe 10 to 100 times the reverse bias capacitance). You would use the diode in this mode if you were trying to make a variable RF attenuator.

DC Modes:
When you are trying to turn the diode from off to on, you need to inject electrons into the I region as quickly as possible. You sometimes need to place a momentary spike of voltage across the diode in order to inject that charge quicker.

When turning the diode from on to off, you need to deplete all the charge that is stored in the diode's I region. It is like discharging a 0.1 uF capacitory quickly (a surprise, because we are talking about a diode that might look like an RF capacitance of < 1pF).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back