Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are some alternatives to Lithium-Ion batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewcrew

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

What are some alternatives to Lithium-ion batteries? I'm using a Lithium-ion battery to power a device. However, I don't want to deal with issues of possible explosions. How can I navigate that? or better yet, what are some alternative batteries? Voltage range is about 3.3Volts - 5Volts.

Thanks.

Re: Battery Alternatives

Why do you think that there is an explosion risk?

I'm well aware of the dangers of Li-ion cells, especially old, recycled laptop cells 8-O but with proper protection circuits there should not be a problem. After all, I can't even guess the number of Li-ion cells in use in everyone's laptop computers, mobile 'phones, iPads and other iXxx devices (I hate Apple!) etc. etc. etc.

If your device does not need the energy storage density and high current capability of Li-ion cells though, then you might as well use NiMH or NiCd cells. Three of them will give you about 3.6V, 4 will give 4.8V (but might be slightly higher when freshly charged and under light load). They are available in a wide range of odd shapes and sizes if you search the dealers.

Well I guess the good news is that you are probably not working with meth lab processes :) I think the small number of cases of lithium-ion fires in the past have painted this picture. You will be safe so long as you follow very simple guidelines. Today's lithium chemistry is much better that 10 years ago. The discharge rates are much higher and at cell EOL or when a cell becomes damages they don't have near the potential they had before of burning. I've been scared with this, and honestly still store my hobby Li-Po batteries while at rest and while charging in a fire-proof metal box. When I was learning to fly electric RC planes about 10 years ago my trainer had an electric plane that used a 3-cell li-po battery. Just seconds after giving him back the radio (since I was loosing control of the airplane) the wings folded and it dropped like a rock from the sky. The plane was demolished but most electronics survived and the 3-cell li-po back was just dented a bit on the end. I remember him saying that he was a little worried about the pack because of some postings on an RC forum with batteries catching fire (not following precautions or usage directions). He also was a bit hesitant to discard the pack because it was expensive. Long story short, he was charging it a few days later in his bedroom, inside a metal vase near his dresser. While charging he was mowing his lawn and after he stopped the mower for a break he heard his house fire alarm going off. He posted pictures on the rcgroups forum of his flame charred dresser.

Today, these incidences are far less common and the packs are much more affordable. The only real got'cha with these cells is the LVCO you still much abide by which is 3VDC per cell, don't let them drop below that and try not to, if at all, go w/o using a lipo c/o and alarm.

Thank you both very much! & no meth lab for me :)

For now batteries with lithium are reality but this will be changed in near future. Lithium batteries in today chemistry combinations dont have some bright feature, because various things, terrorist attack is one of this, price is another,... just imagine car battery price. This batteries easy transform to some kind of bomb, they can shutdown airplanes,...

Of course from lab to market its long way, but we will see....

Read this like alternative :
**broken link removed**
https://www.greentechmedia.com/arti...ry-khosla-arpa-e-explore-lithium-alternative/

Lipo cause car fire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc8NTkUKJ8k

Lion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvUjIWEVRnY&feature=related

Lion dont whant to swim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7abq34mckg&feature=related

Last edited:

All high density batteries need cell voltage monitors and load balancing. . Protection, cooling and load distribution are solvable issues.
Total cost of ownership is high as total number of equivalent full charge cycles or hours is a major cost issue with heat and energy demand.
More wiki info

Sodium-Nickel Chloride Batteries - Planar power: An alternative to lithium-ion batteries
http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/26973/Alternative-to-lithium-ion-batteries

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Note: Ni-Cd = nickel-cadmium; Ni-MH = nickel-metal-hydride; Na/NiCl2 = sodium/nickel chloride; LiM-Polymer = lithium-metal-polymer; Li-ion = Lithium-ion; W/kg = watts per kilogram; Wh/kg = watt-hours per kilogram.

Source: International Energy Agency, Technology Roadmaps: Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles, 2009, p. 12. (Original source: Johnson Control – SAFT 2005 and 2007.)

**broken link removed**

The graph above shows super capacitors specific power ranging from 1 to 10,000 W/kg and specific energy ranging from 0 to 8 Wh/kg.

Lead acid batteries specific power ranging from 1 to 500 W/kg and specific energy ranging from 10 to 30 Wh/kg. Lead acid spirally wound batteries specific power ranging from 100 to 5,000 W/kg and specific energy ranging from 10 to 25 Wh/kg.

Nickel-cadmium batteries specific power ranging from 9 to 990 W/kg and specific energy ranging from 28 to 50 Wh/kg.

Nickel-metal-hydride batteries specific power ranging from 20 to 2,000 and specific energy ranging from 48 to 82 Wh/kg.

Sodium/nickel-chloride batteries specific power ranging from 9 to 300 W/kg and specific energy ranging from 80 to 120 Wh/kg. Long cycle life (2,000 cycles @ 80% depth of discharge) combined with a long calendar life of more than 15 years. Cell nominal voltage 2,58V-2,59V.

Lithium-metal-polymer batteries specific power ranging from 5 to 700 W/kg and specific energy ranging from 107 to 175 Wh/kg. Lithium-ion batteries specific power ranging from 7 to 9,000 and specific energy ranging from 42 to 180 Wh/kg.

Last edited:

For some applications, lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries are an interesting alternative. Safety is comparable to other non-Lithium batteries.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back