Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are "Segment address record" and "Linear address record" in INHX32 hex format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMOS

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What are "Segment address record" and "Linear address record" in INHX32 hex format?

Hi,
Can anyone explain what are "Segment address record" and "Linear address record" in INHX32 Hex file format and how to use them?

inhx32 format

segment records divide the code in different segmends (each segment can hold 64k data) this is pretty much the same as x86 addressing scheme.
It is a way to use Intel Hex on x86 machines. Keils C166 uses this format.
Linear addressing means almost the same but I think there are no overlabs allowed.

usbman

inhx32 file format

The MPASM PIC assembler manual says that INHX32 format is used for 18xxxx series of PICs since their memory goes above 32k!!?? But the address field in INHX8M and INHX32 are of 16-bits and can adddress upto 64k but still INHX32 is prefered. If I see the contents of INHX32 file generated for PIC18C452, the first line is ":020000040000FA" which means the higher order 16-bits of address are set to zero!. And no PIC has memory greater than 64k so should I assume that for all PICs the upper address word will be zero?

format inhx32

I don't have much expierance with Pics but as far as I know they give the adressspaci in words not in bytes so when there is a memory > 32k (words) you always end beyond a 64k (byte) segment. This may be the reason for using segmentation.

usbman

Status
Not open for further replies.