Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are PCB manufacturing files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3034585

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys

Can any one pls let what are pcb manufacturing files for a multilayer pcb. I am using Altium designer 6.8 software for pcb design. does anyone have some information on pcb manufacturing. It will help me in designing pcbs.

Thanks in advance
tama

What are PCB manufacturing files???

PCB manufacturing files are the gerber files(artwork files) which are generated as the output form the tool and send to the manufacturer for fabrication.

Re: What are PCB manufacturing files???

Along with the gerber files, one need a drill file too for the PCB Manufacturing.

Hi All,

Why use Gerber anymore. Every major PCB manufacturer can handle ODB++.
No more gerber files to generate, no drill files to generate, no gerber/drill files to check.

Hi,
You need to give them all the copper layers, soldermask, silkscreen (legend) and drill files along with board/panel outline and one drawing indicating your requirements and dimensions for the board/panel.

In which format you are going to give depends upon the tools you have and the compatibility which the manufacturer has. So, first check with your design tools and find out which are the output formats you can generate and contact the fabricator about which of these formats you have is comfortable for them.

ODB++ format, depends on how big your company and you need to get separate licence for this. Need to spend some money too.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards
Chinta

senilicus said:
Hi All,

Why use Gerber anymore. Every major PCB manufacturer can handle ODB++.
No more gerber files to generate, no drill files to generate, no gerber/drill files to check.

yes but not all pcb programs can handle it as well.

gerber works, no need to fix whats not bust.

hi

manufacturing files are all copper layer(+ve and -ve) with board outline, also it require non signal layer(silkscreen and masking) and drills info.

Thanks

Hello,

You need to supply the gerber files that contains the layout for each layer. Also the drill file definitions are of importance. If you want silkscreen, you also need to supply gerbers. It all depends on the type of work you want the PCB supplier to do...

At Tom-IC we offer 1 free PCB copy for any surface and number of layers till the end of february 2008.

Don't hesitate to spread the words :-D

For your PCB prototypes, try
http://www.tom-ic.com/index.php?cPath=22.

For your components hunting, just try our BOM service
**broken link removed**

Hope this helps,

Tomic

------------------<0>-<0>------------------
Already working successfully with many engineering schools, robots clubs, etc.
www.tom-ic.com
Your reliable prototyping partner.

tomic said:
Hello,

At Tom-IC we offer 1 free PCB copy for any surface and number of layers till the end of february 2008.

Hope this helps,

Tomic

------------------<0>-<0>------------------
Already working successfully with many engineering schools, robots clubs, etc.
www.tom-ic.com
Your reliable prototyping partner.

Shilling at it's finest.

there are some file
1- Gerber files that contain etch & top & bottom silkscreen & sloder mask
2- Drill file
3- Board Stack up that contain thickness of each layer & type of substrate"Dielectric" and oz of each layer and arranggment of this layer

& U can contact any PCB Fabricatore to ask him about input files

If need to produce pcb , it is better to use gerber files format.Sure , if have samples, also can copy to do.

Pauline

Re: pcb manufacturing files

s3034585 said:
Hi Guys

Can any one pls let what are pcb manufacturing files for a multilayer pcb. I am using Altium designer 6.8 software for pcb design. does anyone have some information on pcb manufacturing. It will help me in designing pcbs.

Thanks in advance
tama

PCB manufacturing files are all same whatever software you are using. sometimes it just differs in naming but basically these are what it should compose of assuming you have 2 layers or more.

PCB Manufacturing
- Copper Layers (Top & Bottom) *inner layer if 2 layer or more
- Top & Bottom Solder Mask
- Top & Bottom Silk Screen
- Board Layer *you can include board layer in all layers but for me I chose to separate it.
- Fabrication Layer (for Fabrication Notes e.g. LPI color, gold fingers, impedance controlled routing, drill tables, layer stack up, dimensions etc.)
- N/C Drill

These are also files generated from CAD Tool but for different usage
- Top & Bottom Solder Paste (for PCB Stencil)
- CPL (Component Placement Location (for SMT)

Hope this helps...

It need to privide gerber files which includes all layer, drill files, sold mask and silkscreen layer, stack up request. The software is CAM350 and genesis.

Have a nice day
Pauline

What u r Posted is great.But i want some more explanation Regarding Below Lines (If possible Give me the examples)

These are also files generated from CAD Tool but for different usage
- Top & Bottom Solder Paste (for PCB Stencil)
- CPL (Component Placement Location (for SMT)

Solder Paste layers and Component placement List are required when you opt for automatic placement of surface mount components.

Before soldering components to board, solder paste is applied to the board using special stencils. These stencils are made according to the solder paste gerbers.

Component placement list contains information in XY coordinates as where to place certain component, its rotation and top or bottom side of the board.

Hi,
You need to give them all the copper layers, soldermask, silkscreen (legend) and drill files along with board/panel outline and one drawing indicating your requirements and dimensions for the board/panel.

In which format you are going to give depends upon the tools you have and the compatibility which the manufacturer has. So, first check with your design tools and find out which are the output formats you can generate and contact the fabricator about which of these formats you have is comfortable for them.

ODB++ format, depends on how big your company and you need to get separate licence for this. Need to spend some money too.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards
Chinta

You don't need to get a separate license for ODB++, all decent packages will output this format, and any size organisation can use it.

Gerber and Excellon format is old outdated and a pain in the butt, the sooner we move away from it as an industry the better, be it ODB++ or IPC-2581. I use ODB++ when I can, press one button all data created correct and error free...

Don't forget your manufacturing instructions, the attaché is a very comprehensive list covering all aspects of PCB manufacture, more than most put on there drawings, but I am rather pedantic about my PCB design. They are for class 3 construction, but this can easily be changed to class 2 using find and replace. The document can be used as long as the author and copyright is acknowledged, ie ME.

Attachments

• PCB manufacturing instructions.doc
    84 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back