Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are 6800-series / 8080-series parallel interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaima_ko

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In a datasheet of a LCD module, the data bus interface is described to support "6800-series parallel interface" and "8080-series parallel interface". Does it just mean 8-bit data bus interface in general? or what are the differences between the 6800 and 8080 parallel interface?

Different usage of control signals. 8080 is nRD and nWR, 6800 is RD/nWR and E.

Just to elaborate

They are talking about two different microprocessor interfaces.
That have different signals for controlling their IO Buses.
Motorolla 6800
Intel 8080.

/Bingo

thanks a lot for explanations!

A bit more wonder though. 6800 and 8080 themselves are microcontroller, would it be better if they could support both (or more) controlling scheme? Is it right that which controlling signals are used, RD/WR or EN, are more about the choice of external memory devices, and microcontrollers should support all, to make themselves able to work with several type of external devices? Or that's just the way it was in the ancient time of 6800 and 8080 when microcontrollers support only one controlling style?

I just think ...

Intel invented one way of controlling the Bus , and Motorolla another. (Personally i prefer the Motorolla way) , but thats also what i have worked most with.

So they are just describing two different ways to connect to the LCD.

/Bingo

would it be better if they could support both
Usually one microcontroller interfaces multiple devices. That's why the processor sets the interface scheme and the devices have to follow.

FvM said:
would it be better if they could support both
Usually one microcontroller interfaces multiple devices. That's why the processor sets the interface scheme and the devices have to follow.

That's true for the case of this LCD I am working with, where the external device supports multiple interfaces. Think... I have to get more experience with devices to correct my knowing about which sets the scheme and which follows. Now I believe you're right and thanks a lot for the hint.

Usually, one or two logic gates are required to adapt a device interface to a different bus standard.

Proverb
If the mountain won’t come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.