Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

way to generate locked signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

danda821

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have two Agilent RF source. I am wondering if there is a way to generate phase locked signals. Say the frequency of the two signals is the same. But there is certain degree (not 90) or zero phase difference. I have tried to use the 10M lock port on the back of the generator, but there are some drift in the signal (small though). thanks.

Your experience does not sound right. These are high quality synthesized generators. If they have the same reference, the should have the same frequency. You can fix the phase with difference lengths of transmission lines on the outputs. However, you may have to redo the line lengths each time you turn the generators on.

I suspect that you have not set the controls properly to send the reference out the first generator and/or have the second generator use the external reference input. The operating manuals on these generators are very good. That would be the first place to look to double check the settings.

Are they identical generators? What model number are they? Someone here may be familiar with it.

They are Agilent E4437B and E4438C. Both are 250kHz to 4GHz. I talked with Agilent technical suport. They said the 10MHz lock is only good for frequency lock. For phase, there will be a drift of about 10-15 degree a day. I am wondering if there is a way to generate good phase lock signal. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back