Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Waveguide calibration of VNA using 1/8 and 3/8 wavelength offset shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkirkby

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
There are a couple of common ways of calibrating a VNA with waveguide.

Method 1)
  • Flush short
  • Quarter wave spacer plus the short, to create a 1/4 wavelength offset short
  • load
Method 2)
  • 1/8 wavelength offset short
  • 3/8 wavelength offset short
  • load

The 1/8 and 3/8 offset shorts have a quarter wave difference between them, which is electrically the same as the quarter wave spacer achieves.

I'm trying to find a paper which shows any actual benefit of the 1/8 ad 3/8 wavelength offset short. The theoretical advantage is the join between the waveguide and calibration standard occurs at a low current point if using 1/8 and 3/8 offset shorts, but at a high current point if using the flush short or short + 1/4 wave shim.

I believe the work on this was done at an Australian standards laboratory, although I am not sure which one. Most likely it would have been the National Measurement Institute (NMI) in Australia.

Can anyone provide a reference?

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back