Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to learn VHDL myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After I installed the Modelsim, the license form didn't appears. I trid install again, is not working as well. Any other version to recommend that support VHDL?

couldn't find a solution. Is there any other software to run VHDL simulation. Free of charge?

Could you please recommend a low-medium cost Xilinx FPGA kit that has high speed A/D and D/A converters. Other peripherals are usefull, but I'm especially interested in fast A/D.

Thanks

cwjcwjcwj - maybe you need to install a license manager or something similar

Tried but couldn't find a solution for it. Any other bit of software recommend that is free and able to run VHDL? Thanks.

@cwjcwjcwj

Did you check if 'student_license.dat' file is in the right directory?
C:\Modeltech_pe_edu_6.3g\win32pe_edu\..\student_license.dat

ep20k

I didn't get the form to fill in for the license after I installed the software.

Got the development kit! By the way, how to observe the output? Am I need a scope or I can connect it back to my computer to observe the output?

Ok great! Which kit did you get?

Did you find a solution to the simulator installation problem?

Hi,

Since you are looking for free solutions, I guess tools like SystemGenerator and DSPTools are not an option.

As mentioned before, you need to get a VHDL reference/book and I suppose you have done that by now.

Next you can get a free simulator i.e. ModelSim from Xilinx or Altera or even from Mentor Graphics. My preferred for getting started is Aldec Active-HDL Student Edition. It is free and I think it is more user friendly!! https://www.aldec.com/Downloads/default.aspx

Then get a good reference book for implementing a DSP/Comm algorithm to a FPGA or teaches you how to write RTL code for DSP/Comm algorithms. As I suggest in other threads, I like the following book:

And I have yet to find an alternative or better reference for this subject!!

Of course if you have MATLAB then it is good for modeling your design (you can also use VHDL for this), and comparing results from your VHDL RTL model to make sure the design works. Once it is confirmed, then porting it to a FPGA makes sense.

If you are new and/or learning HDL for DSP/Comm apps, I would say first focus on simulation and coming up with various models (floating-point behavioral, bit-accurate (fixed-point) behavioral, RTL, etc.). Also learn what the intended FPGA has to offer in terms of DSP/Comm Blocks. This way you will have better understanding, and, I may say that try to restrict yourself initially to hardware implementation until you have comfortable with your RTL code, else you may have nightmares debugging your design due to the nature of DSP/Comm algorithms.

Just my 2 cents!

Regards,

I've try to install the modelSIM student edition but also, as some other users, I've no chance to see the registration page on the end of the install process, I like to use this software to do some simple simulation and start in VHDL, someone can post a free student license here (version 6.3)?

Thanks in advance
Powermos

Hi TekUT,

I am not sure if there is a generic license out there. Because as I understood, the license file is configured based on your host ID that depends on one of your NICs. You can invoke the license wizard from Start->Programs->ModelSim SE 6.3x->Licensing Wizard. If that fails, you can just execute C:\Modeltech_6.3x\win32\wizard.exe directly.

For this, I hope you may have already gotten a license file specific to your computer configuration via email (or some other means). Simply store this file in some place where you may not delete!

When you are ready to set up a license, run the wizard mentioned above. Select "Install a new license" and then on the next screen, specify the license file you obtained. After this point, it will verify the validity of your license file, and all tests should have passed. If that's the case you are all set!

Give this a try, and let us know where you are having difficulty. I understand the license registration/wizard did not pop up at the end of the installation, but try the step mentioned above and see if you can invoke it manually.

Regards,

Added after 4 minutes:

Some things:

Make sure you follow this:
-To download and install ModelSim PE Student Edition, you must complete all three of the following steps.
-You must be connected to the Internet for the entire download, installation and license request processes.
-Set Firefox 2.0 as your browser default before running the installation, or the license request page may not load correctly and you will not receive the license file.

(Source: http://www.model.com/resources/student_edition/download.asp)

It seems they have changed the procedure since I downloaded a long time ago.

bharundi said:
Hi TekUT,

I am not sure if there is a generic license out there. Because as I understood, the license file is configured based on your host ID that depends on one of your NICs. You can invoke the license wizard from Start->Programs->ModelSim SE 6.3x->Licensing Wizard. If that fails, you can just execute C:\Modeltech_6.3x\win32\wizard.exe directly.

Hi tnx for reply, well at the specified path I can find the license manager also this one isn't present inside the mentioned folder... anyway my path was:

C:\Modeltech_pe_edu_6.3g\win32pe_edu

I don't know really how to start to work with this software...

Tnx
Powermos

TekUT,

Are you only interested in ModelSim? or are you open to some other software like Active-HDL? It is also a good user friendly software and the student edition is free.

Let me know your thoughts.
Regards,

No matter about what platform use or software, I'll need just a system that is able to simulate my VHDL code, just to start in learning.

Thanks for every suggest.

Cheers
Powermos

Got a Spartan 3E.....and I have implemented a simple code....how to test it by the way? Need a oscillascope?

What softeare have you used to program the FPGA, the ISE free web pack?

Regards
Powermos

cwjcwjcwj said:
Got a Spartan 3E.....and I have implemented a simple code....how to test it by the way? Need a oscillascope?

You will need to assign FPGA pins to the inputs/outputs of your design. The kit comes with switches, leds..etc that you can experiment with. Or you can connect it to other circuits using the expansion slots.

I have the similar problem when using the model student edition. Just solved it.

The reason is that when i am using chrome to download the license file, the extension .dat was removed. So what I did to fix the problem was just add the .dat back to the file

Status
Not open for further replies.