Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want epoxy Adhesive for bonding components

Status
Not open for further replies.

angy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using RS silicon rubber compound for bonding components. The issue with this is it is flowable.I am looking for epoxy adhesive/glue which can be used for bonding components (especially SMD electrolytic capacitor) on to PCB for protection against Shock/Vibration.It should be easily removable when required .

I am using RS silicon rubber compound for bonding components. The issue with this is it is flowable.I am looking for epoxy adhesive/glue which can be used for bonding components (especially SMD electrolytic capacitor) on to PCB for protection against Shock/Vibration.It should be easily removable when required .

Epoxy adhesives may not be reworkable OR hard to remove. Try RTVs

The best solution is a a Polyurethane caulking. These are routinely used to adhere large parts in power supplies to protect them from vibration. There are hundreds of varieties of Polyurethane, commercially available and a few publicly sold in hardware stores ( eg PL400). Your choice depends on your resources available to you for selection. Yamaha use a pure white compound, stiff yet not brittle. Cure times and hardness depends on VOC content among other things.

PL400 is cheap but messy but thin coatings dry in hours and cure in a day if exposed to air. I used it once to repair the broken brittle CPU plastic socket in an ASUS board, broken by the lever spring clamp. A little goes a long way good plastic qualities to retain shape ( not flowing or elastic) Older products with higher VOC content, cured faster and were more brittle. But lower VOC content is the trend for consumer goods. It is commonly used to prevent squeaks in sub-floors.

I am not saying this is the best for you, but to give you an idea what qualities to look for in an ideal adhesive.

Reactions: angy

angy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back