Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wallbox project charging electric car

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnnedaboard

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I wanted an opinion on an idea that came to me ...

I would like to design and build a Wallbox to charge Type1 and Type2 electric cars ... obviously for educational purposes only ...

Given that I am a programmer with experience in programming ATMEL microprocessors, sensors, displays etc ...

but I have no experience on power electronics and I don't know how to proceed ...

Someone kindly, can you give me links or suggestions of wiring diagrams to follow even basic ones,
which I would then enrich with micro processor display control etc

Thank you.

an interesting theoretical exercise
you are much better off buying instead of building your own

it is not just the power circuits, and some control and display.
you need to consider reliability, meeting safety codes, electrical codes, fire codes,
and any other applicable code.

Good morning,

some link / advice / example useful for the realization of the wiring diagram for charging ....?

Hi,

... You could read electronics publications/magazines and automotive electronics publications online and get links to reference designs. All manufacturers (ST, TI, etc.) have an awful lot of information and designs you could copy or learn from before embarking on such a large and complex project. I'm afraid 'basic' and electric car chargers are incompatible concepts. As WFeldman stated, there are a lot of stipulations attached to most consumer/industrial design regarding laws and design safety on many levels.

My suggestion would be to hook up with a power engineer to deal with the hardware side I feel you may have some issues with (power is surprisingly complex - even old-fashioned transformer-based power supplies have to meet a plethora of standards) and perhaps not the time to do the endless reading, research and getting frustrated until one gets it right each circuit usually requires.

A preliminary block diagram of your idea would probably help to focus on which specific building blocks, reference designs and application notes, and datasheets, and standards you will need to swot up on and use. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.