Not open for further replies.

666shan666

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I need some assistance regarding step-up transformers.
I used to live in Chandigarh, India & the voltage here varies from 220v-230v. But recently I move to the outskirts of the city & now where I live has a lot of voltage issues. Due to this one of my computer UPS got burnt, literally. I need to power up my 1200 watt computer for which I am using an APC BR1500-IN with extra battery. The problem is that the voltage never stays at 230v. Rather, it rarely reaches 230v. It some times fluctuates between 212-216 volts, but more often than not, stays at 188v-194v. Frequently, goes below 180v to to 164v, 150v & even 130v. The APC power chute software helps me get these values. I was using a stabilizer & a surge protector, they cant fix a voltage this low. Due to this, the UPS does not charge properly. I charges when it receives 204v or above. when the voltage goes below 180v, the UPS switches to battery power. I need to convert this low voltage to 220v or 230v stable to ensure no loss of property. I was looking at a 2000watt step up transformer imported from US- New 2000W Step UP/Down Voltage Converter Transformer $ (Rs. 5863)
What I want to know is, if this transformer requires 110v-127v input, what effect will it have if it gets 188v or more?
If that is fatal to the transformer, can I connect two of them in series? One will connect to 188v input to 110v output, & this output will connect to 110v input of second transformer to 220v output. Will this combination, or for that matter, anything work for me? Or is it just a wild goose chase?

What I would do is to get a mains to LV transformer, say 220v to 24V with the secondary rated at your computers working current (you said 1200 W @ 220 V = 6A?). Now using some sort of voltage detection device, say a DC slave relay with a lot of zener diodes in series with its coil, driving a mains switching relay. The idea is that the mains relay is energised when the mains is normal and de-enegised when the mains is low. When the mains is normal the mains is routed through a set of contacts to the UPS. When the mains goes low, you ADD the extra 24V in series with it so, you might get say 180 V + 180/220 X 24V ~ 20V so your incoming mains is boosted by 20 V from 180 to 200V. You have to ensure that there is enough hysterisis in the circuit so the switching is cleanly done.
frank

I know u are trying to explain, but I'm seriously not getting anything. :!:

666shan666,

You should use ac main supply booster (step-up)
This is actually a common thing to do in many countries, where power supply can be unreliable or fluctuating at times.

Try this! This is a common booster for a relatively affordable price.
New 2000W Step UP/Down Voltage Converter Transformer

Thanks for the reply, Could tell me the product I should buy? Maybe if it is available on ebay. This is where I can buy stuff from.

You can consider voltage regulator transformer
**broken link removed**

This is a common all-in-1 solution and saves you from stepping down from unreliable 230Vac to reliable 110Vac, then stepping up from reliable 110Vac to reliable 230Vac.

Hope this helps solve your problem. Good luck! :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.