Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Regulation of LA Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

stube40

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to drop the voltage of a 12V to approx 2V but allow many 100s of amps to be drawn, in order to provide power to an experimental DC motor.

I've considered many options, of which the TPS40180EVM module is my favourite so far.

However, I'm playing around with another option of turning the DC battery output into AC using a H-bridge to create a -12V / + 12V square wave then feeding this into a step-down transformer, then using rectification and filtering to create a 2V DC output (we can handle a bit of ripple in the motor). The advantage of this method is being able to handle the high currents with suitable choice of power transformer, rectification and filtering components.

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this idea, or if anyone had any better ideas?

Look for the November and December 1986 issues of ETI ..

There was a description of a heavy duty switching regulator (lm3524+power mosfets) that with some modifications could be used to convert 12V dc to 2V dc at very high amperage ..
And the interesting thing about that design is that it is actually chopping the negative pole (positive earth system), so the voltage regulation occurres between the (-) unregulated and the (-) output ..

IanP
:wink:

Attachments

• Positive Earth switching regulator - ETI Nov1986.JPG
    Positive Earth switching regulator - ETI Nov1986.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Thanks for that Ian.

I'll do some googling and see what I can find!

All the best,
Stuart.

Reactions: IanP

IanP

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Ian,

Hit a dead end with the ETI search:

"There are now no Electronics Australia, Electronics Today International or Radio Television & Hobbies back issues available..

However, we can supply project reprints of any article from EA, ETI (and even RTV&H and Wireless Weekly!) for $12.00 including GST and P&P per article/per issue (Overseas $AU15.00 each). Note that many of the projects in these older magazines (SILICON CHIP included) could now have major parts availability problems!"

Do you happen to have more specific details about the article so as I can order it?

Thanks,
Stuart.

Reactions: IanP

IanP

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
No worries mate, I'll scan it for you ..
Give me a couple of days ..

IanP
:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.