Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage ratings for components in DC-DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

stamford

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wanted to know what should be the theoretical minimum voltage ratings of the Schottkey diode, inductor and capacitor for a Dc-DC converter.
Lets say For a 5 V - 30V and 1A boost regulator, what should be the minimum diode and capacitor rating.??
Does the reverse breakdown voltage rating of diode have to be a minimum of 2*30*1.4 Volts?? ( for a reverse bias diode ,the output voltage and the rms value of the input add togehther)
Its just my guess, I would really appreciate if anyone could put light on it.
Thanks.

Hi, the following maybe help you.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
Good luck.

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:29 ----------

And this link:
Basic Calculation of a Boost Converter's Power Stage_°Ù¶ÈÎÄ¿â

---------- Post added at 23:44 ---------- Previous post was at 23:42 ----------

That is " texas instrument" application report: basic calculation of a boost converter's power stage
You can search it.

No sine waveform (with a peak- or peak-to-peak voltage factor) is involved ín boost converters. You can read the peak voltage when considering the switching cycle in your converter. It will be about 30V for 30V output with a non-inverting boost converter. If no overvoltages must be expected, a 30V diode would be sufficient. You would possibly select a 40V type to have some margin. The average output current will be 1 A, but the peak current will be at least 6 A, so a higher diode rating than 1 A is most likely required, e.g. 3 A.

Status
Not open for further replies.