Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage monitor - need help with the circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tthoang86

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Voltage monitor

Hi, I need help.

I have no idea how to build this one. I need a circuit that can read a voltage drop
below a certain voltage then make a close circuit between 2 point.

aka
example: voltage > 10 V , open circuit between A and B

voltage < 10 V , short circuit between A and B

The voltage input source is 22V which could be reduced if necessary.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Voltage monitor

You can use a comparator (or an opamp in comparator configuration) and a relay ..
Comparator will compare 10V input with a reference and if the voltage is lower it will activate the relay and the relay's contacts will shorten A with B ..

Another option is to employ 555 timer and configure it as comparator, and the reason I suggest this IC is that it can directly drive a relay ..
See this link:
**broken link removed**
One thing to remember is that the input has to be at 2/3 of the 555's suply voltage, so you may need a potentiometer connected between "10V" and GND to precisely adjust at what level would you like to activate the relay ..

Rgds,
IanP

can you please explain a bit how exactly i can use an op-amp connect with a relay to do it? as i dont know what is 555 timer :(
Sorry for being such a noob.

p/s: i got UA741CP op-amp

Goto:
**broken link removed**
and have a look at "12V Battery Monitor" (for proper operation you will need to swap input +[3] and -[2], so the output goes high if the voltage is below "10V") ..

Instead of connecting LED try to connact a relay in the same way as it is connected in the "Auto-Fan" circuit (via NPN transistor) ..

Rgds,
IanP

Voltage monitor

simply use a pic microcontroller feed the input o ADC ( make it in a range of 0-5Volt) take whatever decision make a out high/low as desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.