voltage level detector

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, my intention was only to detect whether its AC or DC power, nothing else BUT few my friends told me exact same thing that you said regarding switching backup DC supply if AC fails. one of my friends told me that this is one of the applications of this kind of design.

I am not really experienced student in designing circuit so I did wrong wiring.
What are the chances of this circuit that works for the purpose that I am looking for?
Do you think this way I can detect AC vs DC?

Thank you for the input.
Help me.
p72

I think I can tell you with some certainty. The circuit as drawn will not work with any AC or DC input because the supply is shorted out!

and if the polarity of the DC can change, it too needs to be run thru the diode bridge

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

any help in circuit wiring??

help with wiring of circuit.
please.

Last edited:

Hey Brian,
I was looking your suggestion and have a question, on the circuit what is the role of +5V at the output side? What is the functionality of that?

Thank you,
p72

It can be any reasonable voltage that the opto-coupler transistor is happy with. When AC is applied the LED in the opto-coupler lights on positive half cycles and when it lights, the transistor on it's output side conducts and discharges the capacitor so the voltage across it drops very low. The resistor and supply (5V or whatever) pull it high again when the AC is NOT present.

So, given suitable values the output will be say 0.5V when AC is present and it will be 5V or whatever you apply at that point when the AC is missing.

Brian.

Reactions: p72

p72

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks betwixt.

Status
Not open for further replies.