Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage fluctuation and surge current affecting Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABEL DANIEL

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
People,i am really concerned whether my laptop will get affected due to the voltage fluctuations/surge problems.

First of all,are voltage fluctuation and surge current problem same?
How these problems would affect my laptop and which part of laptop?
Lastly,what can i do to prevent my laptop from getting fried?;-)

My Canadian electricity utility company properly designed the grid so that there are no voltage fluctuations or surges. The only electronic products I have had fried by lightning are telephone answering machines.
Some countries have horrible electricity voltage regulation and most people there use a voltage regulator and surge arrestor.
Where are you?

@audioguru,i am from India
i am planning to buy power conditioner or voltage stabiliser ,i hope that will suffice

Does your laptop have an AC adapter? Look closely at the label. If it's like mine, it accepts an input voltage of 100 to 240 VAC. It shouldn't have a problem unless your house voltage goes outside that range.

The ideal thing would be a transformer which automatically changes its step-up ratio.
It would be made to regulate its output voltage to 220 VAC.
I believe it would be difficult to get it to work properly, and safely, for consumers.

Well it's pretty apparent the power infrastructure in India has problems:
https://www.google.com/search?q=power+poles+in+india&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2wb9U9T0HIiEiwLb_YGwDw&ved=0CB0QsAQ&biw=1651&bih=827

These are what power poles look like in India. From what I've read there are a lot of unauthorized taps into the power lines. I imagine this makes it very hard for India's power agencies to regulate the power. Ever hear of rolling blackouts/brownouts in the USA? It's when the peak demand for power is to high for the power company to supply so they let the output voltage droop or shut power off completely to various communities until such time as the demand drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.