Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vicor power module ...powering the external error amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have tried to understand the datasheet schematic and pins, and skim-read the descriptions further on in the document, and with my limited understanding, I'd have thought that it makes sense to power the EA from VAUX, as if the PRM is disabled, then the VTM is also not powered, so the load isn't powered either, and so presumably the EA would have nothing to compare and it's output signal would serve no purpose until the PRM is enabled again.
Sorry, treez, trying to help, if I haven't understood anything, my apologies.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks, no i think you are very correct...the VAUX pin collapses i think deliberately whenever the module is disabled, because then the error amp gets no power and so its output will not rail high, so when the module comes back on again, the error amp output starts from low, which is the wanted and desirable situation....fo a slow and steady smooth startup with no overshoot.

Similarly, the current monitor is required to monitor current right from the startup when the prm48's output is 0v...therefore, this should ideally be a hall sensor...but does anybody know of a good "over the top opamp" for this purpose.....the hall sensors are all a little large at soic8 size and bigger.

thanks, ill look at that stuff, i know the LTC6101 wont be useful though as it gives no output till the rail its measuring the sense resistor on goes above 4v...and we need it to measure from 0v upwards.

Okay, I see...

Why not low side sensing?

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.