Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vibration sensing microphone

Coper

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A friend asked me to help her solve a problem with noisy neighbors above her apartment..
n our country, similar things can be solved in court, but without evidence...
On the technical side of things, I would need a microphone that would be able to record vibrations spreading through the body of the ceiling and would not record or at least the sounds from the room under the ceiling.
On the other hand, I know that already during the First World War, devices capable of detecting enemy digging at tens of meters were used when digging tunnels
Tank drivers use microphones that pick up the vibrations of the vocal cords, etc.
Thank you

unfortunately it's not my field so I don't know what to look for

sounds like you want a vibration sensor, not a microphone; a microphone might not have low enough frequency response.

But I question how useful this would be in a court of law, in any country. I could go down to the train tracks, measure the vibration as a train goes by, and then bring this to court and say ‘see what my neighbors are doing?’. Do you think any judge or jury would believe me?

How about using a smart phone App and talking at the same time at 1m distance for relative voice to interference ratio.

• Decibel Pro.
  • Decibel X.
  • NIOSH SLM app (iOS only)
  • Sound Meter & Noise Detector (Android only)
Is this for sub-woofer noise or banging bedposts? :unsure:

An accelerometer might be the ticket, they have an upper frequency
limit but will go down to DC. I like the analog-output ones of
yesteryear but it could be that you can find an eval board that
gives you the sort of data stream that a PC can log. Hot-glue the board
to the ceiling.

I think ADXL103 was the one I liked, voltage mode output. No idea if
it's still current production,

Hi,

if you want to stop the stress:
* accept it, use earplugs or move.

Maybe you find a way to measure the noise... What do you gain? I´m sure both parties already know there is the noise. . but it won´t stop the noise.

The "evidence" just lets the situation escalade in your brain. You have the choice to make the situation escalede or deescalade with your neighbour.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: