Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL variable initial value problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitx

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi dear friends,

I have a code in VHDL. Please take a look this code below.

process (clk,i)
variable xn,y : real;
begin
xn := 0.2;
if rising_edge (clk) then

i <= i + 1;
if i < 8 then
xn := 4.0 * xn * (1.0 - xn);
y := floor (100.0 * xn);
m <= (integer (y)) mod 256;
mem(i) <= std_logic_vector(to_unsigned(m,8));

end if;
end if;
end process;

Now, in every clk, the initial value always xn = 0.2 Is not it? But I just want it in first clk only. And I need to use variable. How can I pass that situation?

Please help..

Thanks.

why do you need to use a variable? use of a varaible often implies you're trying to do things you shouldnt for VHDL.

I take it this code is for simulation only, because real types are no appropriate for synthesis.

So, to initialise it once only, either create a reset, or initialise the variable at it's declaration:

variable xn : real := 0.2;

Hi friends,

You mean that real types are no appropriate for synthesis. Is it right even we use math_real package? Because I am using math real library for real operations. And I just get warning message when synthesis occured. By the way, is this mean that real operations in FPGA can not be applied in practical application?

And I use that code : variable xn : real := 0.2; and this time, synthesis failed. Message is "ERROR:Xst:1532 - "C:/XilinxWorks/my_PHD_prj_new/main_PHD.vhd" line 98: Real operand is not supported in this context. "

This is really confused. Your other obtion: use reset ? How should I do ?

Thanks
Bye

You cannot use real types unless they are used to setup other hardware. There is no direct translation of real types to hardware. For floating point usage, I suggest loooking into the floating point IP cores provided by Xilinx or Altera.

Status
Not open for further replies.