Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL: Predicting how many bits an expression is made of

Status
Not open for further replies.

J90

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

Let's take the following example:

Code:
rom_addr := std_logic_vector(unsigned(ram_db)*((font_width*font_height)/8) + (unsigned(pix_x) + unsigned(pix_y)*font_width)/8);

Where:
Code:
signal ram_db: std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
constant font_width: integer range integer'right downto 8 := 8;
constant font_height: integer range integer'right downto 8 := 8; 
variable pix_x, pix_y: std_logic_vector(4 downto 0);

I know the above expression results in a std_logic_vector of 16 elements. This after receiving a warning from the compiler for a size mismatch in the assignment.

Is there any way to predict the size in bits of the above std_logic_vector?

holy mother of f***.

Its like every dirty thing you can do has been done.

Tell me more please!

By the way the synthesizer just instantiate some adders, multipliers and stuff for that expression (as I expected). What's wrong with it ? :cry:

You cant predict the number of bits in the result automatically.But you can simply calculate it.

In your case each of the below signal require the following number of bits:

ram_db - 8 bit.
font_height,font_width - 4 bit each
pix_x, pix_y - 5 bit each.

Now consider the expression:
ram_db*((font_width*font_height)/8) + (pix_x + pix_y*font_width)/8)

For multiplication the result width will be equal to sum of the number of bits in num1 and num2.
Analyzing that way, first term has 16(8+4+4) bit result and second term has 9(5+4) bits.
Now for addition the resultant width will be equal to the number of bits in the bigger number.
so the result comes to 16 bit in size.

--vipin
https://vhdlguru.blogspot.com/

J90

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you vipinlal! That was helpful, just what I was looking for :)

Still, I'd like to know what permute was talking about, maybe it's not the right way to accomplish such an operation ?

I will write down some points here:
1)You are doing a big calculation there in one single line.Break down it into a more readable format.
2)Why are declaring CONSTANT's in a complicated way?Just use this:
constant var_name : integer :=8;
The synthesis tool will trim the unused bits here(bits 31 downto 4).So leave such jobs to the synthesis tool and write the code more clearly.

this is all I have for now.Wait for permute to answer.

--vipin
https://vhdlguru.blogspot.com/

vipinlal said:
1)You are doing a big calculation there in one single line.Break down it into a more readable format.
Yea, I sure would better brake it down.

vipinlal said:
2)Why are declaring CONSTANT's in a complicated way?Just use this:
constant var_name : integer :=8;
Well, to be honest that constant was born as a generic.
Not much time after I discovered the compiler does not like generics as arguments for case statements, because they're not locally static. As a consequence I chose to change it for a constant.
The "downto 8" means: hey future me, are you going to change that constant? Fair enough, but don't you set it lower than 8 or something bad will happen (i.e. the code does not support that constant to be lower than 8 ).
Yea, maybe a comment would have done the trick too :)

vipinlal said:
Wait for permute to answer.

Let's wait ;)

J90 said:
The "downto 8" means: hey future me, are you going to change that constant? Fair enough, but don't you set it lower than 8 or something bad will happen (i.e. the code does not support that constant to be lower than 8 ).
Yea, maybe a comment would have done the trick too :)

You can use asserts to catch bad generic choices. and quartus at least will act on them properly (after a discussion on comp.lang.vhdl, most compilers just issue a warning).

Code:
assert (my_generic > 8) report "Generic has to be greater than 8" severity failure;

you can put this line of code inside your architecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.