Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vhdl - missing componentsafter synthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramzitligue

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
vhdl

hi, i wrote a program on vhdl :
entity b is
Port ( a0 :in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 downto 0);
a1 : in STD_LOGIC;
s :eek:ut STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 downto 0));
end b;

architecture Behavioral of b is

begin
process(a1)
begin
if a1='1' then
s<=a0;
else
s<=(others=>'Z');
end if;
end process;

end Behavioral;

then i want to connect the output "s" of component b to to the input of another component b1 and here is the program of component b1:
entity b1 is
Port ( en :in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 downto 0);
s1 :eek:ut STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 downto 0));
end b1;

architecture Behavioral of b1 is

begin
process(en)
begin
if en/="ZZZZZZZZ" then
s1<=en;
else
s1<=(others=>'Z');
end if;
end process;

end Behavioral;

the problem that after the synthesis i don't find the component b1 in rtl schematic.can you help me please?

Re: vhdl

It's probably getting optimized away because it looks like what your code is implying is a wire.

If you rewrite the code for b1:

Code:
architecture Behavioral of b1 is 
begin 

process(en) 
begin 
  if en ="ZZZZZZZZ" then 
    s1<=(others=>'Z');   -- in this case s1 == en
  else 
    s1<=en;      -- in this case s1 == en also
  end if; 
end process; 

end Behavioral;

So it looks like s1 is always equal to en which means b1 can get replaced with
a wire.

Radix

vhdl

Apart from the shown redundancy, 'Z' isn't a defined input state, it's meaningful only for outputs.

so we can't make a test on input en if it has the state 'Z'?if not haw can i replace it?

Think about what you're asking. As FvM mentioned, 'Z' really only makes sense for an output. When you drive a 'Z' onto an output you are tri-stating that output.

What this means is that the output driver is shut off. It's no longer driving a 1 or 0, it's doing neither. The driver isn't sinking or sourcing any current. In an ideal case without a pull-up or pull-down resistor on the net and absolutely no leakage current, the last state driven onto that net will remain there indefinitely.

In the real world, tri-state cannot be sensed. A net is either a 1 or 0, or has some value between Vil an Vih which is really an unknown state. For input values within that range most receivers will either detect a 1 or a 0 but those values are meaningless.

Radix

Status
Not open for further replies.