Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL generate port map issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesr

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have the code below which as far I can work out should be connecting a number of components together in a chain, a bit like a ripple carry, but this for a comparator, with MSB first. Is the syntax correct because it does work, if I synthesize the code to see what circuit I get, it seems to create only one comp (LSB), as if its ignoring the other IF statements? I'm just trying link the previous components ports to the next in a particular order?

The msbslice component has AIH,AIL bit, A,B vectors 15, AOG,AOL bit OUT for reference.

M1: for i in 0 to 15 generate

begin

MSB: if i = 15 generate --MSB
comp: component msbslice
port map (AOGc(i),AOLc(i),AI(i) ,BI(i),AOGc(i-1),AOLc(i-1));
end generate MSB;
LSB: if i = 0 generate --LSB
comp1: component msbslice
port map (AOGc(i),AOLc(i),AI(i),BI(i),AOG, AOL);
end generate LSB;
ALB: if i < 15 and i > 0 generate
comp2: component msbslice
port map (AOGc(i+1),AOLc(i+1),AI(i),BI(i),AOGc(i-1),AOLc(i-1));
end generate ALB;

end generate M1;

I have no idea on the port definitions for all these components. So I have no idea. The if statement wont be ignored. If the layout is not as you expected, then you probably made a mistake.

Post the full code.

Reactions: jamesr

jamesr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks,

I finally got it to work. I had the signal declaration for the internal link inside the for generate loop, I moved this outside into the architecture body and its working. Thanks for the clarification on the If statements though.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back