Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL concatenation and integer-to-single-bit Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dohzer

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
vhdl concatenate std_logic_vector

I've got two (probably simple) VHDL questions.

Firstly, I've got a std_logic_vector signal I want to concatenate with a certain number of zeros to pad it out.

Code:
	constant SMALL_WIDTH : integer := 4;
	constant LARGE_WIDTH : integer := 8;

signal small_signal : std_logic_vector(SMALL_WIDTH-1 downto 0);
	signal large_signal : std_logic_vector(LARGE_WIDTH-1 downto 0);

large_signal <= ???

What would I put where the ??? is to take "small_signal" padded with zeros in the upper four bits and assign it to "large_signal"?
I could write...
Code:
	large_signal <= "0000" & small_signal;
... but if I change the width of each signal, I'd have to change the number of zeros accordingly.
I'm assuming the solution I'm after would involve some sort of "(LARGE_WIDTH downto LARGE_WIDTH)" statement, combined with "others => '0'", but I really don't know the syntax to use.

My second question is to do with converting an integer to a single bit.
Is there a simple way to use a single bit from an integer type variable's binary representation and assign it to a signal?

Code:
	signal sig1,sig2,sig3,sig4 : std_logic;

for count in 0 to 16 loop
		sig1 <= <bit_0_of_count>;
		sig2 <= <bit_1_of_count>;
		sig3 <= <bit_2_of_count>;
		sig4 <= <bit_3_of_count>;

end loop;

Is there a single line assignment I can use to assign the bits of "count" to their respective signals, or do I need to use another temporary vector to convert count to std_logic and then split the bits out from that?

PS. Sorry if this is the wrong forum... I noticed it is for "device specific VHDL/Verilog/SystemC questions" but wasn't sure where non-specific HDL questions should go.

vhdl concatenation

1) Concatenation can be done as below example:
****signal test:std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);****
****signal test1 : std_logic_vector (3 downto 0);****
****test1 <= b"1010";****
****test <= (7 downto 4=> '0') & test1;****
2) I am not sure if this can be done in a single line. VHDL is a structured language. These kind of type casting are not automatic.

counting bits in vhdl

Thanks for the reply thiagu_comp. Exactly what I was after with the concatenation question. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.