Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VCO: corner frequency vs cut-off corner frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

casual

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
when we say "flicker corner freq of a vco output phase noise", does it refer to the slope of 1/f^3 or the boundary between 1/f^3 and 1/f^2 (cutoff corner freq, i think). It does cause me confusion.

wiki: corner freq = cutoff freq

when the simulated pnoise (spectreRF) freq waveform labels the "CorFreq: PN-3dB=5k -50" (dBc/Hz). Does it mean the cutoff corner freq is 5kHz? I think it only shows the slope of 1/f^3 rather than the cutoff corner freq. Because from the waveform, the -20dBc & -30dBc slope are intersect at much high freq than 5kHz.

One way to estimate the phase noise meaning function of the SSB slope, is the below approximation:
- 1/f^3 is 30dB/octave
- 1/f^2 is 20dB/octave
- 1/f is 9dB/octave
- Leeson's equation apply where the slope is 6dB/octave
- fo/(2*QL) the corner between phase noise slope and the "flat" phase noise

Generally is difficult for any simulator software to predict the flicker noise if doesn't have an accurate silicon model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back