Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vbias in 2-stage OP Amp circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpazolli

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I look at circuits of a two stage op-amp CMOS model, I often see a Vbias terminal. My question is how this is connected up in the final circuit as often when we take the operational amplifier as a single block we only have the +'ve and -'ve inputs and the output. The only understanding I have of this Vbias term is that it should be the average of the two input's. However that maybe incorrect.

Isn't Vbias the bias voltage for something like a cascode? Can you show an example circuit?

In this case Vbias is the bias voltage for the current sources (M5 and M7). There needs to be extra circuitry on the chip to provide that voltage. Sometimes details like that are left out for simplicity. i.e. This is a simplified schematic, not a full schematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.