Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

variable output buck converter design

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeb0

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I was using a GS-R400V in one of my design. This part is now obsolete and unable to find anymore.

I plan to design a replacement for this part. I already found buck controller ( LM2678 ) but there is a little something that scare me. Let me explain my needs :

Input : 24V
Output : 0.5V - 23V ( I don't think it is possible to get 0.5V so I will need to use 5V - 23V )
Current : 1A - 6A

A microcontroller will control the output voltage with a digipot. I am scared of the output voltage when I will change the voltage. With the GS-R400V I had to ramp the voltage requested to have a nice output but with another controller I don't know what will be the behavior.

any hint given here will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

The preferable way to vary output voltage is with a variable reference, but most control ICs don't allow this because the reference is built in. Some do however, look for "tracking" type controllers. I know linear tech makes several.

Variable output down to zero can be usually achieved with standard regulators (linear or switched mode) by superimpozing a control voltage to the feedback network.

Status
Not open for further replies.