Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable Frequency PWM

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighTechPower

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I want to design a circuitry that produces two types of PWM outputs using any 8 bit PIC microcontroller i.e. one PWM will be of fixed frequency type which is very easy to implement. The 2nd PWM is of variable frequency type whose frequency will be reduced linearly at our will for some fixed range of frequencies. Any idea how to implement this 2nd type? I don't need detailed coding just verbal understanding.

Hi,

Maybe as "fixed ON time, flexible OFF time". Resulting in a PWM period time of "t_on + t_off".
Basically this is a counter with variable TOP value and fixed COMPARE value.
Usually the microcontroller datasheets explain how to setup the PWM periferal for:
* a dedicated PWM period time and
* a dedicated ON time.

--> read the datasheet

Klaus

The pic approach very doable, depending on overall requirements and other project needs.

One approach using a single chip would be -

1611671031912.png

This has advantage of onchip DDS derived clock, eg. linearity. Also if you needed a PWM > 16 bits,
say 24 or 32, thats relatively easy to do creating onchip a custom component, either with
Verilog or schematic capture of a logic design from its general purpose logic fabric. Or more
channels.....Right hand window shows resources used/left in chip for other tasks.

Regards, Dana.

Status
Not open for further replies.