Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Value of internal pullup resistors in PIC16F1704

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

The pull-up current is specified with 25uA ... 200uA at 3.3V.
This should be enough information.

Klaus

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The data sheet does refer to 'weak pull-up' (or 'pull-down') but this is not ever followed by the word 'resistor' (except referring to an external resistor that you need to add for various situations - e.g.I2C).
I'm not sure about that device but often the 'pull-up' and 'pull-down' is implemented with a FET and not a resistor.
Susan

T

The data sheet does refer to 'weak pull-up' (or 'pull-down') but this is not ever followed by the word 'resistor' (except referring to an external resistor that you need to add for various situations - e.g.I2C).
The opposite is true. The datasheet is very clear about the weak pull-up implementation as PMOS transistor, see e.g. PIC18 family reference manual. Respectively it's better specified by a saturation current than a resistance value.

T

The data sheet does refer to 'weak pull-up'
In fact, they should be used more for asserting a default logic level at the input of some digital-like operating circuit (eg saturating or cutting) than any other circuit that drains current of certain value as inherent part of its operation.

T

Thanks,
I cant see where you found that...you have brilliant search skills.
I looked thru entire dc and ac characteristics section adn elec spec section but couldnt see it.

I did CTRL F's on "Pullup resistor", pullup current" etc but couldnt find
Thankyou

Hi,

I cant see where you found that

* Datasheet: PIC16(L)F1704/8
* Chapter: 32.0 ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS -->
* Chapter: 32.3 DC Characteristics
* TABLE 32-4: I/O PORTS
* Param No: D070, I_PUR

Klaus

I did CTRL F's on "Pullup resistor"

Sometimes is better to start with partial search in datasheet not with entire word, "Pullup" would not find "pull-up", space (' ') and minus ('-') symbols are not wildcard characters.

Our software guy has used the PIC18F26K20’s weak internal pullup in RB3 in a Dual Opto Zero Crossing detector as in the attached. (schematic and also LTspice simulation attached)

Page 378 says the pullup is 50uA to 400uA at Vdd = 3V3.
That means an effective resistance of 8250R to 66k

With a 66k pullup the zero cross detector does not work due to the time constant fo the pullup resistor with the stray capacitance of the opto transistor.

PIC18F26K20 datasheet:
**broken link removed**

Do you know why the internal pullups have such poor tolerance? Would the Pullup be a greater effective resistance at a lower Vdd?

Attachments

• Dual opto ZCD.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Dual opto zcd.jpeg
    Dual opto zcd.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back