Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

V to I converter stability ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmos_ajay

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Attached is the circuit which I saw in a paper. Its a power on reset circuit.
In the V to I section of the circuit the stability components Rz and Cz are connected between the supply VDD and the drain of pmos transistor PM7.

* Why is that so ?
* Is it not appropriate to connect them between tha gate of PM7 and drain of PM7 ?

Will appreciate an explanation for the same. Thanks.

Attachments

• V_to_I.JPG
    V_to_I.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 77

hi cmos_ajay,

i agree with your statement Rz+Cz should "connect them between th[e] gate of PM7 and drain of PM7". Cz is the compensation cap and Rz would be the nulling resistor for stability if placed across gate+drain of PM7. I bet this is incorrectly drawing schematic in that paper.

Though I am curious whether we both could be wrong and having Rz+Cz connect to the supply provides some other magical means.

The drain of PM7 is connected to low impedance node (resistor R2 which I assume is in order of several kΩ not more) so PM7 is not a gain stage, so Miller effect does not work there. So to compensate this circuit Rz, Cz network is used to provide pole gout_of_OTA/Cz and LHP zero 1/Cz·Rz.
In addition when You look on the PSRR+ for this circuit it doesn't suffer for high frequency diode connection as it take place in Miller compensated opamps.

Great comment, Dominik Przyborowski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back