Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to check soldering of complex components on board

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, i need to solder an opamp component on the footprint shown below.
The problem is thatin real life i put component on the footprint and each leg i cover with blancket of solder.
It looks steady it looks like it has contact on every leg to its pad.
Then when i plug the power supply i get that some of the legs on the chip is not getting its voltage.
1.Is there a good way to solder such chip on a footprint?
2.is the a visual way to be sure that every leg on the chip is soldered properly?
Thanks.

https://www.mouser.co.il/datasheet/2/609/1028fd-3123388.pdf
1702494673248.png

1702494106084.png

Hi,

how do you get the impression the pins are "not getting its voltage"? Do you think it is not properly soldered (I assume based on the topic)?

Please share the schematic and tell us what does not work, or what leads you to the impression that the legs are not properly soldered.

Regarding soldering such an IC.
  1. Put some solder on one pin in the edge only e.g. #1.
  2. Heat up the solder at pin #1 and place the IC with tweezers on the footprint.
  3. Align the IC and remove the soldering iron. This should be done rther quick to not expose the IC to too high tempertures for too long.
  4. Keeep the IC in place until the solder at pin #1 is cooled down/solid.
  5. Fix the IC in a diagnol way, here by soldering pin #5 next. Now your IC is in place and you can easily solder the remaining pins.
  6. At the end you might resolder pin #1 to ensure it is properly soldered, and not only "holding" (cold -solder joint) the IC.
Of course, the result depends on your solder tip /equipment and how calm (non-shaky) your hands are. But don't worry, the results are getting better over time with increased expirieence.

BR

Hello Stewart,what is hot plate?
I put flux on the pads of the footprint before placing the component.
Is there some good video you reccomend so i could see how its done properly?
Thanks.

use a hot plate and heat gun with low rpm with flux with 10x optical lens to inspect.

use a hot plate and heat gun with low rpm with flux with 10x optical lens to inspect.
That seems like overkill for just an 8-pin IC. As explained by others, this can be done reliably with just a soldering iron.

As far as inspecting, I've actually used my smartphone camera to zoom in on the PCB if I don't have a microscope handy.

That seems like overkill for just an 8-pin IC. As explained by others, this can be done reliably with just a soldering iron.

As far as inspecting, I've actually used my smartphone camera to zoom in on the PCB if I don't have a microscope handy.
old webcams with adjustable lens were best for macro.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back