Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UWB radar antenna project, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Om-3alawi

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
urgent

Hey guys I'm new on this website but i really need help here,

They gave me a title of project which is UWB antennas for short range radar and they need a general description of the project but i don't know how to start this up, can anyone pls pls just guide me on how to start this up.

urgent

I have some files about UWB palanar antenna, I will put here if it will be helpful ?

what does an UWB antenna project require doing

please give your posts subject lines that describe the question.

I think that if you can answer these questions you can describe the project;

What frequency range is used by UWB?

What is the minimum bandwidth needed by an UWB radar?

Is the radar mechanically steered (thus requiring a directional antenna with high selectivity) or is it electronically steered?

Is the radar intended to have 360degree coverage around it or a narrower field-of-view?

Is the radar intended to have a "flat" view or should it look up and down as well?

What is more important, antenna radiation pattern that is consistant across the radar bandwidth or antenna efficiency?

How important is keeping the antenna impedance near constant across the radar bandwidth?
Could the radar design compensate for different impedance across the frequency range eg if the radar is using time-hopping could you electronically tune the antenna (with varactor diodes or somthing) depending on the frequency that the radar is about to use for the next pulse?

When you know the answers to these questions you can define what you want to do.

Om-3alawi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
urgent

Obviously you want to write the project description so it is something that you can actually achieve.

If this was a spec for an antenna for a real product it might be something like this.

"Design of an antenna system suitable for an UWB radar system which scans 360degrees in the horizontal plane, for example a boat radar antenna mounted on the top of a mast intended to give an indication of obstructions within 50meters. The radar beam will be steered by changing the relative phase of the signal applied to different antenna elements. The ideal number of elements and polariation is to be determined.

Design shall consist of antenna elements and whatever feeder and impedance matching arrangements are necessary.

The connection to each antenna element shall be a 50ohm-characteristic-impedance stripline which runs down from the antennna so that a metal box containing the electronics will not significantly affect the antenna tuning. Crosstalk between striplines shall be -30dB or lower.

Antenna radiation pattern shall be such that radiation is -15dB or lower past and angle of 30 degreess above and below horizonal. The impedance match at the start of the stripline feeder shall be better than 2:1 SWR across 3.5GHz to 4.5GHz. Reflected power at the feedpoint shall be -15dB or lower. Radiated power efficiency shall be 2% or better"

Om-3alawi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: urgent

Saleh85>>>> can you pls upload the files it might help.

throwaway18>>>> i need to start reading more and searching so i can answer all the questions

They also send me these couple of lines

The project will use readily-available, utra-wideband radio (UWB) antennas to send a microwave (3.1 - 10.6 GHz) signal over a range of 1 m and detect the return beam. As the time of flight can be measured and hence the phase shift, a simple yet effect radar can be produced.

So can you plaese guid me again with the general describtion

urgent

I uploaded 2 files here but I don't know what's problem It's disappear

Re: urgent

Saleh85 said:
I uploaded 2 files here but I don't know what's problem It's disappear

may be your files are available for free on the net. so that you can put the links to your files instead.

br

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back